Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 28, 2004, 4:54 AM   #11

Default Raynox

Interesting that you say that the DCR-1850PRO 1.85X is better than the other one. Raynox's F828 page says, "The Performance of the DCR-1850PRO may suffer when used on a lens with an optical zoom of more than 6X such as the 7X zoom lens on the F828 camera." It's also much larger than the 1.54X lens. Doing the math, I figure that 7.1 zoom x 1.54 with the DCR-1540PRO yields a 9.24 magnification, while 6 zoom x 1.85 yields 11.1, so you are riight to suggest thqat the DCR-1850 has the further reach.

I believe that there are US vendors - I saw that B & H (in NY, where I bought the F828) has some of the lenses, and there are a couple of stores listed on the Raynox site. I did not check the prices on all of the lenses, but a couple appeared to cost US$129, which is much less than the Sony tele (the Sony is a more complex lens that weighs twice as much).

I sent Raynox an e-mail liast night asking about using these on the F828. I will report if they respond.
dirtlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:53 PM   #12

Hi [dirtlawyer],
It will be interesting to here what Raynox answers back to your email...........
Considering it pictorially advertises their lens attached to the Sony 828, I believe the answer to be both subjective but with a hint of caution.... Sitting on the fence, so to speak.

All I can go by is how it performs on my model, which is quite acceptable.

Yes, please let us know what their answer is. I look forward to their comments.
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:44 PM   #13

Default Raynox conversion lenses and the Sony F828

This is the response I received from Raynox:

"we have tested our lenses and those have been posted on the web site"
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:47 PM   #14

...what did I say... they are sitting on the fence.

Hardly an inspiring reply.

Again all I can say buddy is; go down to the shop where you believe you can get the lens from, order the DCR-1850PRO 1.85X Telephoto and the DCR-FE180PRO Fish-Eye(Full Frame) Lens. Try them out in the shop and if your not happy with them, then all you've wasted is your time.

Again, all I can say is:- the built quality is superb, the lens material is excellent, boxed and pouched very carefully, light in use and lastly, for me, gives what I need.

all the best.

Ardent
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:49 PM   #15

I have been using my Olympus TCON-17 with my 828 and am generally pleased. I use a 58-55mm step-down ring, and use the lens only with the camera set to full (or nearly full) tele; otherwisw, the vignetting is a problem. The weight of the Olympus lens is not an issue as far as I can tell. I have used the lens in both hand-held and tripod mode, and there is no noticible flexing of the camera's lens.

The only shortcoming of this combo is a slight bit of green fringing under certain circumstances, especially around the edges of the image. I didn't notice this on my Minolta D7i, so it must be a function of the TCON-17/Sony combination.

All in all, the 828 has exceeded my expectations. It is significantly better than my Minolta D7i (especially wrt autofocus), and the 8MP images make outstanding 8x10 prints (bigger, too, I imagine, but my printer isn't big enough). I have noticed none of the issues (e.g., CA, etc.) that others have harped on. This is my 6th digital camera, and it is by far the best so far.

Walt
wnovinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:38 PM   #16

Default Response from Raynox

A Raynox tech wrote that, about using their lenses on the Sony F828:
re: the HD-6600PRO58 wide angle lens - "the lens will vignette"
re: the 1.85X mag. v. the 1.54X mag lenses - "the dcr 1540 in my opinion is the better lens"

This guy is terse, but he did respond within the day.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 1:22 AM   #17

Interesting comments........

[wnovinger]..... The Olympus TCON-17:
Normally used for the Olympus C-5050, C-750, C-740 and C-4000.
I have not used this lens with any of my cameras, including my Minolta 7i. Instead, I opted for the Olympus A-200 1.5x lens which gives very good results on the Minolta 7i but bad on the Sony 828.
The reason for this and I predict is the reason why you have noticed a slight bit of green fringing is in the way you have to attache the lens to the two different cameras.
With the Minolta 7i, this has a 49mm thread, so a step-up to use the lens is required .... a plus point in using a lens.
However, the Sony 828 has a much bigger 58mm thread, so a step-down to use the lens is required .... a negative point in using a lens.

The Raynox use a different lens material:- 3G/3E Optical coated glass elements and so should give a better result.
However, as I say, I have'nt used the TCON-17, only the A-200 so you will have to form your own opinion. Basically, if your happy with what you have then that is all you need.

I also agree, the Sony is a much better camera than the Minolta - but then I would have expected it to be so.........

--------------------------
[dirtlawyer]
If you read back, I mentioned I have most of the Raynox range of lens. However, the DCR-6600PRO Pro-Wideangle lens 0.66X, I would not use with the Sony 828 and agree with the salesman.

What confuses me is why you mention this lens as I have not said anything of it previously, nor would I reccommend the use of it with the Sony.
For wideangle my use and reccommendation is with the DCR-FE180PRO Pro Fish-Eye(Full Frame) Lens, the lens I mention on all previous occasions.
So yes, don't purchase the HD-6600PRO. It uses a smaller thread at 52mm as opposed to the 62mm on the DCR-FE180PRO, Lens construction is: 3G/3E Optical coated glass, whereas the DCR-FE180PRO uses a 4G/5E Optical coated glass elements.
and finally the HD-6600PRO has a magnification : Nominal 0.66X Actual 0.66X/Diagonal, 0.66X/Horizontal,
but the DCR-FE180PRO has a magnification of only 0.24X Actual 180-degree/Diagonal, 0.24X/Horizontal.
A much better and more suited lens in all areas dont you agree.

In reference to the difference between the 1.85X mag v the 1.54X mag lens.
The DCR-1540PRO is a second generation lens using a lens construction : 2G/4E Optical coated glass elements.
The DCR-1850PRO however is a later generation using the 3G/3E Optical coated glass elements.
Because of its size the 1850PRO, makes using the lens awkward at over 6x mag but if you do your maths:- which you did in a previous post, you see that it gives a better result than the 1.54X.

The guy at Raynox was terse, very terse. If he's going to give an opinion which to use then he should have backed it up with material facts.
I disagree with him on his opinion. In my opinion the DCR-FE1850PRO is a much better lens for use with the Sony.

All I can reiterate:- order the lenses from the shop, try them out and form your own opinions. The way you use and handle the lens may be different to how I use them.
No matter which you choose, it's still a plus for both ends of the mag spectrum be it Wideangle or Telephoto.

Ardent
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:50 AM   #18

Default Comments on Raynox

I mentioned the wide angle because I saw it on the Raynox product line, so I asked Raynox about it; indeed, you did not mention it before.

I have never used a fisheye but will consider it. I mostly use wide angle for in-city shots during traveling. A good example would be in the French Quarter in New Orleans, which has narrow streets. The widest lens I have is a 24mm Sigma for my old (film) Nikon FE. Also, I take underwater pictures and wide angle is a must there - I have a 20mm u/u Nikon lens for my Nikonos cameras. Eventually I'll get a housing for the F828 but I doubt that the housing will accommodate a large add-on lens. Still, without it, the F828 would be good for fish portraits and macro U/W, which are hard with a Nikonos if the subject can swim away from a framer.

Your explanation of the construction of the Raynox lenses is most helpful and better than what is on their site. I doubt that I'll be able to get to try the lenses locally before ordering them. However, they are relative inexpensive so it's not much of a gamble.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 8:27 PM   #19

[dirtlawyer]...
I understand your concerns with using Fisheye.
Indeed for real close up work the DCR-FE180PRO Pro Fish-Eye(Full Frame) Lens when looked through the EVF at 28mm will vignette barrel distort and fisheye.
Open it very slightly to 35mm and all vignetting disappears.

Now take your shot....
What you will now have is a near 180 degree picture with curvitures both sides...

Finally, the fun bit....
The next tip requires a bit of post editing. For straightening out the curviture of the shots taken I use Paintshop Pro 8.1
I do have Photoshop CS but believe PSP 8.1 to be much quicker and give better results.

In PSP go to the menu and select Adjust/Lens Correction/
Here you have one of three choices:-
Barrel Distortion Correction
Fisheye Distortion Correction
Pincushion Distortion Correction

Apply correction and there you have it, a near damn 180degree shot.

If you dont want any curvitures either side when looking through the EVF, then you would be better zooming in to say 85mm. Although you have come in quite closer, you will find you still see more of the picture either side than at 28mm without the Lens added.
This option is ideal if you dont want to do any post editing.
Field of view in this instance is still around 10 degrees either side better with the lens added.

Hope it's all been of some use to you.

Shame you dont have the luxury of a shop nearby.
In that area, we here in the UK are a bit spoilt, what with over 250 shops selling the lens means you end up with an outlet in practically every town with two/three in every city.
So I can understand your concerns in having to resort to mail order. Surely you are protected though?
Here in the UK if the goods are not of merchantible quality then a full refund is given. Part of the Sales of Goods Act.

all the best
Ardent
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:19 PM   #20

Default Response to Raynox fisheye tips

Your explanation should be very helpful. I did not realize that by increasing the tele magnification, I could minimize the fisheye effect and effectively use the lens as an extreme wide angle.

Although I am sure I could return a defective product (I am a lawyer, can't you tell from my handle?), this is more of a subjective choice of suitability. And some vendors charge a restocking fee for returns, and in any event there is the return shipping cost. Given the cost of the lens, it's not a great risk to try it out.

What cameras are you using these lenses with?

BTW, I also have a Nikon FE, an old manual focus SLR. I have the Nikor 55mm Micro (an excellent lens), a Nikor 35 mm E series, both with a with a 52mm filter size, and a Sigma 24 mm (I don't recall the filter size, probably larger). I assume that with the proper adapter, I could use the fisheve. I also have a 100mm Nikor E series and a non-Nikor 70-210 zoom. I could try the Raynor tele converter with those too. I have not used this camera much since getting my first digicam three or four years ago.