Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 12, 2011, 6:39 PM   #1

Default HX5V, HX7V, and HX9V - Best Travel/All Around Camera

Currently own the LX5 and as much as I love the camera, just wish it had more zoom to it. I am not the type who like to worry about having more than one camera so I am thinking of selling the LX5. I initially looked at the Panasonic ZS6, but am concerned with the low light/indoor IQ. Though it seems the IQ is better than on the new ZS10 due to the new sensor.

Therefore, I thought the HX5V would be more suitable, but just noticed two newer models came out the HX7V and HX9V.

Looking solely for still shots as I never use GPS and never have used video so it is of little to no interest.

I know the HX5V has gotten rave reviews, but concerned with the increased in MPs if IQ has been at all impacted. Also wondering how the overall sharpness compares. Noticed the HX5V is currently selling around $199, while the HX7V is around $322; not sure how the price will be on the HX9V given the extra zoom or if it will be beneficial and it is currently hard to come by.

I also like the Nikon S9100 which I noticed got several top pics including PCMags Editors Choice and CNET pick for their Top Five Cameras. Wonder of all of these, would it be best in both low light and outside conditions.

Looked at the Canon SX230, but don't like that the lens start out at 28mm.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Last edited by lawnboy246; Jun 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
lawnboy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:46 AM   #2

Where are you finding the HX7V for $222.00??? I paid $280.00 for it from Costco last month and thought that was a good deal.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:03 PM   #3

Sorry, that was a typo, should have stated $322 through a 3rd party on Amazon.com; u got a good deal.

It is $299 directly through Amazon.com, but currently out of stock.

Did you buy it through Costco's website or in their store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
Where are you finding the HX7V for $222.00??? I paid $280.00 for it from Costco last month and thought that was a good deal.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy246 View Post
Sorry, that was a typo, should have stated $322 through a 3rd party on Amazon.com; u got a good deal.

It is $299 directly through Amazon.com, but currently out of stock.

Did you buy it through Costco's website or in their store?
I got it at a brick and mortar. As of this past weekend, they still have it. It also is packages with a pretty decent Sony case (with belt loop) and a class 4 4gb SDHC card.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:03 AM   #5

Wonder how soon Costco might have the HX9V?

I have compared the HX7V and HX9V and prefer the various updates made on the HX9V.

Quote:
I got it at a brick and mortar. As of this past weekend, they still have it. It also is packages with a pretty decent Sony case (with belt loop) and a class 4 4gb SDHC card.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy246 View Post
Wonder how soon Costco might have the HX9V?

I have compared the HX7V and HX9V and prefer the various updates made on the HX9V.
I would upgrade to the HX9 myself, but no one has it in stock and there's no telling if Costco will ever carry it. I know the HX9 is made in Japan and that Sony's facilities were impacted by the earthquake/tsunami. The HX7 is produced in Taiwan. If the HX9 comes into costco any time in the next couple of months I am upgrading. Have you noticed any difference in the still/video IQ between the cameras??
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:03 PM   #7

I was at my local Costco today and they had the HX7V for the same price you got yours.

Have not been able to find a place that has both of them in stock so I have been going by reviews and user feedback.

Take a look at the following:

http://hx9v.blogspot.com/2011/01/son...d666288938bb84

Quote:
I would upgrade to the HX9 myself, but no one has it in stock and there's no telling if Costco will ever carry it. I know the HX9 is made in Japan and that Sony's facilities were impacted by the earthquake/tsunami. The HX7 is produced in Taiwan. If the HX9 comes into costco any time in the next couple of months I am upgrading. Have you noticed any difference in the still/video IQ between the cameras??