Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:06 PM   #1

Default Sony DSC-WX9 review

Hey all I am member Fishycomics, and I thought I take a trip out to Bestbuy, and finally make my purchase, of a Primary Camera, and actually dod not do my homeowork on it. I had some advice from our member, and dedicate my work, and given credit wher due to Set2374.

As I had my eye on Sony for a while, and did my best to find a way to test out, with no show of support, I moved on, and decided to cahs in on some reward points, andreturn a GPS unit, and get a Primary camera.

My choices were clear:
  • TX100 capacitive screen
  • HX5 zoom
  • HX7
  • HX9 higher zoom
  • WX-9
I walked in Cams in had, viewed the price tags, and decided my Budget allowed $200.00. give or take a few dollars. I waited paitently, and walked out with the WX9, with second thoughts of Price, and Frames per second.

We are like kids very ancious to open our toys, I concitrated on the picture or view in front of me reality, and when gotten home a quick search, which we must do prior, and not rely on a Sales person. Doublecheck again a price, and spec. I was relieved, I was corerct, that I knew I had the lowest price new, and correct fps (frames per second). For a few Dollars less, I do not mind, f or 20.00 less and to travel to anotehr store, today is not worth the trouble. For I was told the open box at onsite stores were $145.00 a svings of 65.00 plus a few pennies of add'l tax. I did not want to worry if a person trialed and smeared tehir fingerprints on the lense. I was happy I got a new camera.

I looked high and low, and Steves, does not show a sony cybershot DSC-WX-9 review or post in the Sony section, or do they? No, only search pulls up a few posts that does not relate to wx9.

So I am set to make a review I am thinking of a skit, no, just a Intro, unboxing , a quick sample, and a overview, and footage soon to follow. Reviews take time, and time is what some have, but when we want to show a review, some go for perfection, Here you'll see just good ole me doing what any ordinary person does best. takes a shot and posts up for all.

So sit back relaxe, and enjoy the show, Video's, samples, and footages, with reviews are coming.

Visit Sonystyle.com and check for the model you are after. For I now have my primary cam, maybe one day I will upgrade for the HX9. on the go, and not worrying about weight. Check out the WX9 enjoy

for those who need to check manuals read here

Sony cybershot DSC-WX9 Intro and Unboxing..... click me
Features and functions video overview.............. click me

some Notes that you may find helpful if you're looking to purchase or not:

1. camera can not run on Live feed, if USB power cable plugged in, no ext batt source allowed.
2.Movie record bullet, time too small, end of record, says recording, should say Processing, or finished rec.

As a few days has gone by never will I get used to all the controls. I can come down to my conclusion;

The camera is Compact, way to much especially if you are going to be on the go, rushing your shots, if you are not a relaxed person, you know your next step move to a bigger and better camera, period.

Battery power most important use to some, especially me. Had about 20 munutes use in video, and returned another day, set up to shoot in 5x optical, battery depleted from 3/4 full, Put on the charger and totally completed full charge to find again no video taken and camera is OFF, I bet the power save is on, or a defective battery. No way to find out, when pressing button,. Once on Charger it lights up for charge.

For I must return due to my reasons, dead battery too fast, other than hat. I hope you enjoy my review.

Last edited by fishycomics; Jun 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:23 PM   #2

Here This page will have sample clips of video's and stills thank you

Video's

shots of helicoptor and close up, sounds of suttle breeze. Click me

Shots during the day, and Indoor in HD1080I, Hd720P Click me

Pictures:

3mb

4mb

decreased size 5x opt zoom

Last edited by fishycomics; Jun 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:31 PM   #3

Nice reviews fishy. I really hope you enjoy the wx9. You should give the hx7 or 9 a shot. The 1080p at 60 fps on the hx9 is impressive, but at a 28mbps bitrate, you are going to need a seriously hardcore compute for playback and editing. It's also outside of the parameters fir both avchd and mp4, so the video s packaged in a proprietary Sony format---
Making it even harder to work with. In other words, I wouldn't buy the hx9 solely because it can record in 1080p at 60fps. On the other hand the hx9 as lightning fast focusing (not the as the system on the hx7--which is still great in it's own right); more manual controls and an incredible 16x optical zoom and improved sound quality.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:39 AM   #4

Thank you Set2374. Each camera has features and functions we all would love, that the others do not, if a company can make that ONE camera we would have no need for anything else.

My Pc I am sure would be able to edit, and a Sample Dl clip of a minute may be needed for all to test themselves.

What makes me want, and make me not get " A HX-9 are a few thing:
  • Battery life
  • GPS
  • full manual
  • size
These are just some. Battery life is as simple as just getting a spare.

Gps, is just a gimmick if it eats battery power or not.

Full manual, makes it just easier, or harder to use for some

Size, depends on what you want or not carry with you , at all or some times.

For I think I made the right Choice, as one day the Unit or units will drop in price if it's the Hx-9 or WX-9. We compare and decide what our budget allows, and for me to go get the HX-9 as well, would only be a duplication of the same camera less the 16x optical, full manual control, and additional video resolution, otherwise. I got a almost identical cam but smaller.

Thank you Member fishycomics
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:20 PM   #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyZDX4Ni4lU

I will always look back on this clip, enjoyed.