Default DPreview F828 review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/
TheeBadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:13 PM   #2

this is one of the many reviews that has put me off this camera
PetreTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:55 PM   #3

Don't over react to Phil's review. The "recommended" rating is not that bad considering all factors which went into making the assessment and many of the "issues" he discusses can be avoided by simply following good photographic techniques.

Primarily, the complaints about the f828 are coming from those who do not own and use the camera, but wanted to buy one and whose expectations were not met with reality in the product itself.

The F828 takes dynamite images - of that you can be certain. Much of the complaints are coming from those who simply read the review, look at the enlargements of the grey color chart with visible noise and assume that the camera is not up to par.

No eight megapixel camera image viewed at 100% on a CRT is going to be free of blemishes. In contrast, when the F828 captures are downsampled to 5 megapixels, they are admittedly "better" than those from the f717 and f707.

Yes, there is some chromatic aberration, but not much different than from any other 7x zoom lens. There "can" be a blue/purple fringe (commonly referred to as PF) in areas of high contrast, especially if an overexposed image was captured at wide open aperture. Much, if not all of this can be avoided by paying proper attention to metering the proper portion of the frame and by not overexposing the image. Some of the PF may be lens centric and other portions are most likely the result of sensor "blooming" which results when pixels are over-saturated and "spill" off electrons to adjacent pixels. This is commonly referred to as "cross leakage."

Chromatic aberrations can be easily dealt with in software while PF is better resolved by avoiding when possible and by localized desaturation when absolutely necessary. This means if you don't take adequate caution with the F828 you will be spending a lot of time post processing, but this in no way means you can't and won't get absolutely stunning images and prints from this camera.

I probably have more digicams to compare with the F828 (which I also own) than the vast majority of photographers. Currently I have over 25 fixed lens digicams representing Minolta, Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Epson, Canon, Olympus, Leica/Panasonic, Fuji and other brands. I also have nearly all Canon dSLR models (D30, 10D, 1D, 1DS), a Kodak DCS-760 and a Kodak MF back. In comparing both the displayed and printed output of the F828 with all my fixed lens digicams, the F828 has measurably the best detail and image quality of all. Noise at ISO 64 and ISO 100 are simply not a factor in prints, and I have prints up to 16x24 from the F828 which are absolutely stunning in detail, clarity and color.

I would have loved it if Sony had been able to produce this camera with less PF, but I'm more than willing to work around it for the incredible other great features and dynamic output. The F828 will have a place on all my photo safaris right beside my best dSLR's and will serve very well to augment their utility.

Have a real good look at Steve's pictures from the F828. Print some for yourself. This is a dandy camera which though may be flawed, is still by far the best in class in my opinion. It definitely makes better images than my F717 and F707 with superior detail, better color rendition and far more resolution. In my opinion it's a keeper!

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:10 AM   #4

Very well said Lin...I guess for those who don't actually own the camera have higher expectations but may not undertand much about photography, some of them do address very disturb paranoia opinions without touching the camera.

I do enjoy using the new Sony F-828, for travel purpose, this one is hard to beat...

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:07 AM   #5

Agree........
Those that have bought the Sony F828 camera and have used it will know it is a damn fine camera. Yes it does have issues but these are easily dealt with. You just need to get to know the camera...... There are limitations in any camera, even my DSLR gives problems but again are dealt with.

For another opinion have a look at:-
http://www.luminous-landscapes.com/r.../sony828.shtml

It's simply a case of acceptance.
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:11 AM   #6

Apologies.
Typo error in the link. Read to be:-
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../sony828.shtml
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:06 PM   #7

I've been defending the f828 on various forums since I got mine last month. However, I've read so much negative feedback
about this camera I was beginning to believe that maybe I had picked another dog even though the photos I had taken looked good to me. Well I just printed out a 13" X 19" High contrast snow scene of the Cleveland Skyline on a Canon S9000 printer and I must say that I for one no longer have any doubts about the quality of the images capable of this camera. This shot was GORGEOUS. Much sharper than 35mm shots of the same type of subject matter that I have taken in the past. There was no CA to remove but I did run the file through "Neat Image"(Great Program) to remove what noise there was. While I probably didn't need to use the noise removing program, because of the cost of 13 X 19 paper and the amount of ink used I wanted to minimize the possiblilty of having to reprint because of noise.

I used the iso 64 setting at 1/80 of a second @f5 shot from a tripod as are almost all the photos I take. Printed on Ilford Printasia premium glossy photo paper. I used the highest quality jpeg. (8m fine).

As far as all you naysayers out there thats ok, you just go with another camera, that'll make it easier for me to win more competitions. Now if I could get a perfect sync between my monitor and printer I'd be all set.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy
As far as all you naysayers out there thats ok, you just go with another camera, that'll make it easier for me to win more competitions. Now if I could get a perfect sync between my monitor and printer I'd be all set.

for those who decided to take this camera of the paranoia prospected list: have a good life
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote