Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 14, 2002, 3:34 AM   #1

Default Memory Stick and SanDisk ImageMate

Hi,

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P31. It works fine, but if I take out the Memory Stick and try to read it with my new SanDisk ImageMate Dual Reader (plugs into USB, takes Memory Stick and CompactFlash), the pictures come out horribly distorted--no matter what program I use (Photoshop, Internet Explorer, etc.) various quadrants of the image are in the wrong place, and there's a big gray strip midway up the picture. I don't even modify the image files, but when I put the stick back in the camera, it says "File Error," meaning the Memory Stick had somehow been tampered with while in the USB reader.

If I put the Memory Stick in the SanDisk reader and copy an uncorrupted file from my computer's hard drive to the Stick, it remains uncorrupted.

If I transfer the images directly from the camera to the USB port, the images come across fine.

So it appears that using the camera exclusively, or the SanDisk reader exclusively, works fine, but the problem occurs when I try to pass the Stick from one to the other. There seems to be some kind of formatting conflict between the way the Sony camera reads/writes files, and the way the SanDisk device reads/writes files. Has anyone else experienced this? Do I have an option other than just returing the SanDisk reader?

Thanks,
Patrick
el_yotcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2002, 5:01 AM   #2

Patrick,
Going to guess the stick has been formatted by the reader. If camera is capable of formating use it. Do not reformat with reader. If you tel me your proceder for deletion can tell if I can be of futher assist.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 6:04 AM   #3

Gary,

Thank you for your response. What you say makes sense--the reader is definitely doing something to the Stick. I am definitely formatting it with the camera, but the instant I put it in the reader, it becomes corrupted. I've tried reformatting in the camera over and over again, but the reader always corrupts it.

As for my procedure for deletion, I either delete directly from the camera or from Windows Explorer. Both methods seem to do the same thing. If I put the corrupted Stick back in the camera and go into playback mode, the images won't show ("File Error") but I can still delete them and free up space.

Is there any way to get the reader or Windows XP to stop formatting?

Thanks again,
Patrick
el_yotcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 6:11 AM   #4

Pat,
try to delete this way, my computer, click on drive letter that is card ready till you see picture icons. up top to edit, from it choose "select all" back u top click file, selec "delete" . your camera format should stay intact, thus nothing will try to format it.
Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote