Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
camera still has a number of sizes that iswhat I said, just must be me Lol thanks anyways
Yes, it does. I stick with the 16mp.

Went out today and was quite pleased with the results. Perhaps later will add some more pictures. So far it is a great walk around camera.
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:59 PM   #12

We went to Balboa Park yesterday to see a show at the Old Globe. I was able to take a few shots around the park and in the botanical garden. I think the HX9V performs pretty well in Auto mode.

No pp on any images, all were resized to meet the forum limits on width and file size.

First up is me testing out the background defocus option. These were taken inside the botanical garden which had lots of shade.

First in Auto, then using the Background Defocus mode. Btw, it did a good job of representing the colors of the flower...
Attached Images

Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:04 PM   #13

Here are some images using the Backlit Auto HDR found in the Scene mode.

The flowers were taken inside the botanical garden in an area that had a mix of shade and sunlight. Auto mode first, followed by the Auto HDR versions (except for the last one)
Attached Images

Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:12 PM   #14

Here are the last 5 for now. I believe the landscape photos were all taken in Auto and it chose Landscape Mode. The turtles were also taken in Auto (I couldn't even see the 2nd turtle in person it was so bright). Those 4 shots were all taken outside at around 1pm so the lighting was quite harsh. The flower shot was taken inside the botanical garden in a very shady spot, right inside the doorway. It was taken just a few inches away from the flower and it might have been in background defocus mode, but it could have been in Auto. Was in a bit of a hurry.
Attached Images

Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:30 PM   #15

Looks like the camera is working real well for you.

Some good images.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWho View Post
Looks like the camera is working real well for you.

Some good images.
Thanks. Im really enjoying it. Especially the portablity.

I took some bursts shots at my sons football practice last night. They werent half bad. Better than I thought. Will post a couple later.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:10 PM   #17

Hi purplehobbit- great pics..!
I wonder,could you tell me- as the HX9V has no shutter priority or aperture priority-
Could I open up the aperture fully,select say 1/500th sec and have iso set at auto- capturing sharp moving subjects- the auto iso being the cameras exposure adjuster as it were..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:48 PM   #18

Simon,

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm still learning all the ins and outs on this camera (and my DSLR for that matter), so I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer your question.

I am sure you could try doing that. It's been my experience though, hand on and through research, that point and shoot cameras do not perform well at high ISO speeds. So if you were doing this in full daylight, it might work, but if it were poor lighting, I think the ISO would go to high to capture sharp images as the noise would greatly increase.

I do find myself missing the A and S modes, but I'm adjusting. In M it is quite easy, once you figure it out, to change the shutter and aperture modes. They also flash yellow, I believe, if you have an incorrect exposure. The lcd screen also does a pretty good job of showing you that you have an incorrect exposure.

I almost went with the hx100 because of the tilt screen and other features, but what sold me on the HX9V is that it fits in my pocket and my purse, so I am much more likely to have it with me.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:26 PM   #19

Thanks for that- I don't have the HX9 but am looking at it- though the absence of A+S modes might make shooting moving subjects at full zoom difficult... and having to adjust the exposure manually- in a hurry- might be a problem.!!
Such a shame that such a high spec(and expensive!) camera would leave these out...
I take your point about the portability though- definitely a bonus...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:54 PM   #20

Simon,

I did try out the sports mode and it didnt do too bad. It struggled a little at max zoom in low contrast, but that was not unexpected. But then shooting moving subjects at max zoom is typically not the strong suit of point and shoot cameras.