Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:33 AM   #1

Default DCS717 & Polarizers

Hi.
I've had a Sony DSC717 for about 4 months now and I'm having trouble seeing the effects of the polarization filter when looking though the viewfinder. I didn't expect to be able to see it on the LCD preview screen but I'd like to be able to use the filter properly when looking through the eyepiece. What am I doing wrong? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
edpa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 3:49 AM   #2

Because the eyepiece is an EVF, it shows the same thing as the LCD screen.

I haven't had the best results with a polarizer on my F717, especially when my goal is to get dark blue sky. I've taken a few great pictures with the polarizer, but most of the time it doesn't seem to help as much as the polarizer did on my film SLR.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:34 AM   #3

The Sony F-717has one of the best EVF compare with other digital cameras in it class, but it’s not a perfect viewfinder. The ideal viewfinder for the purpose of using polarizing filter is the true optical viewfinder you saw on those SLR. To get the maximum effect of the polarizing filter especially in the case of you try to darken the blue sky, you must follow the proper technique. Your position and the scenery must be in a perfect 90-degree angle with the sun. You will find the ideal time to get this effect is sometimes between 9:30 am and 10:30am in the morning, or between 3:30 and 4:30 pm of the day. But to ensure you’re select the right angle of the picture, using you thumb pointing at the sun while you index finger will point at the correct angle of the scenery that you want to take the picture. There are some other important steps that you must follow also:

First, switch the camera to manual focus mode; manually focus the scene until you see you subject is clear in the EVF or the LCD screen

Gently turn the polarizer ring of the filter until you see the maximum effect of the scenery then shoot, make sure when you’re turning the ring of the filter, you didn’t change the focus of the camera.

You can also use the polarizer filter to remove the reflection of shinning subjects such as glass, or water.

Good luck…enjoy shooting… :
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:35 AM   #4

Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:36 AM   #5

Well, that's certainly not encouraging. I don't understand why the polarizer would have any less effect on a digital, after all, the light takes the same route through the filter and the lense. Scenic photography is my main focus and I like being able to add some interest with the sky by using the polarizer, but I'd hate to have to do this via a hit-or-miss method. Thanks for the response.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:42 AM   #6

Thanks to tuanokc, but my problem is not in understanding how the polarization filter works and what it does. My problem is how to see the effects with this particular camera. Thanks for the lesson, though!
Is this something that is common with all digitals, or just those with EVF's?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:30 AM   #7

I've done this with the new Sony F-828 via its EVF, I can actually see the effects of the polarizer filter on both EVF and LCD, I assume the F-828 EVF about the same or a little better than the F-717, I still prefer the real optical view finder on the SLRs, much better to see...