Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 23, 2004, 1:35 AM   #1

Default Sony F828 Microdrive Compatibility

The documentation for the F828 only references a 1 Gb microdrive as compatible. Does anyone know if the new 2.2 Gb microdrives will function in the F828? I'm a little leery about operating system limitations, although it may just list the 1Gb because the new drives were not out when the manual was printed. I can't seem to get a straight answer out of Sony tech support.
just4grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 3:10 AM   #2

Default 4GB Microdorives are OK

I wish I had one....but I've read several posts on the DPReview SOny forum from people who put 4GB Microdorives into 828's and had no problems....including hi-res videos.

Note that CF-II cards, regardless of size, will NOT handle videos. Apparently the reason is that the cards do not contain an internal buffer, which the microdirves use to handle drive spin-up time.
bbinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:12 PM   #3

I bought a 2.2GB MagicStor Microdrive for my 828. The first one I received had problems but would work OK after it "warmed" up. I received a replacement and it is working fine.
floydgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I'm off to get a microdrive! If you're going to use the raw format (which is really nice) it seems like the only way to go.
just4grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:11 AM   #5

I'm a little confused by your comments 'bbinnard'.

You state CF-II cards will not handle videos, yet the Microdrive is a CF-II card.

Certainly, IBM Microdrives handle video superbly, no matter what media the card is inserted, be-it a Sony F828, Minolta 7i, 7hi, A1, and many others.... even my Pocket PC's handle video using the card.

I am most probably missing your point, so if you could clarify I would be grateful.
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:49 PM   #6

Default Explanation

A microdrive is a hard disk that conforms to the CF-II form factor. Consequently, it is a hard drive, and not a solid state flash memeory product.

To successfully record hi-res movies, the 828 needs a pretty high data rate to its storage device. For some (unknown) reason, SOny decided solid state flash memory cards would not be fast enough to support the required data rate (even though the high speed flash cards have a data rate equal to or above microdirves.) So the 828 will not record hi-res movies to "real" flash memory CF-II cards; it will record them to a microdrive however.

Also: the 828 uses FAT32 drive support, so you can put in drives (or cards) exceeding 2 GB in size. However, the FAT32 system still can't support individual file sizes over 2GB in size, so if you want to fill up a 4 GB drive with a movie you have to do it in at least 2 pieces.
bbinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:38 PM   #7

What confused me was you saying
"Note that CF-II cards, regardless of size, will NOT handle videos".

As the Microdrive is a CF II card and it does support video, that was where the confusion lay.

Had you said 'Flash-CF-II Cards' I would have understood your intentions.
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote