Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 25, 2004, 3:05 PM   #1

Default Mavica CD500 and Batteries

I finally decided on a CD 500. Placed my order with superpixdigital.com because they had the lowest prices and were pricehead.com certified. Got a call today to "confirm" my order, which was really an attempt to sell me accessories. A very pushy sales rep told me the camera I bought (new, in package) was "useless" unless I purchased a $149 kit that included a rapid charge battery. I told him to cancel my order.

Does anyone have any comments regarding battery performance of the inbox unit? Thanks!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:04 AM   #2

The battery is charged inside the mvc-cd500. Buying an external charger would be a good thing. At the " Sony Style " website you have several options of chargers. The smallest one BC-TRM is not a " rapid charger" but very compact. You plug it directly into the wall ( no extra cords to carry around) is 59.95. An extra battery for the Mavica is model # NP-FM50 is also 59.95.
The battery that comes with your unit is the same model number NP-FM50. There is nothing wrong with it. It's just nice to have a backup battery.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:16 AM   #3

thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea how many shots I can get with the camera's original battery?
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:54 AM   #4

When you say " original battery " , there is only one battery model. You cannot use alkaline. Ok, to get to your question about how many shots.
Shooting at 5.0M, picture quality set to fine you can take about 220 images with a battery life of about 110 minutes. That is shooting one time every 30 seconds, power is turned on and off every 10 times, zoom is periodically used, Auto Focus mode is set to monitor ( which is the factory setting ) , using flash half of the time and your at about room temperature.
If you don't mind an extra second for the camera to focus so you can get a longer battery life/take more shots go to the setup menu and change your setting from MonitorAF to SingleAF.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:37 AM   #5

I have the CD400 and it's just shy of two years old. I'm still getting good battery life (same battery as the CD500) from my two original batteries (one came with camera and I bought an extra) after almost 16,000 photos. I've ordered a 3rd battery for our vacation next month because I like to be able to shoot all day. On vacation I like to leave the camera on a lot, ready for a shot when we are in interesting areas. I can shoot a full disk (~95+ at high res) with one battery over a morning or an afternoon. This way I'll still be good for evening. There is nothing better on vacation when you don't know when the best shots will happen or if you'll get to return. And...you can't beat 50 mini CD-Rs for about $20 for storage and convenience. Most everyone else has to quit after a dozen shots or go find someone to download for them at costly $s. You've made a good choice - enjoy whatever you do.
sunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:00 AM   #6

The battery that comes with the CD500 will last for a lot of shots. Unlike a lot of other cameras, Sony batteries tend to go a long time in between charges.
I would suggest that you buy one spare so you can go with that when you have to.
You dont need that extra kit.
With an additional battery, a dedicated charger isnt totally necessary but is a nice addition.
Good luck getting set up with a Mavica.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote