Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 4, 2004, 1:12 PM   #1

Default sony f828 - now or wait

after going to numerous forums and looking at pictures taken, i have decided that the f828 is a great camera and am looking forward tp purchasing it. thks guys.

only question now is whether i should get it now or wait and hope that sony might tweak the camera's production to correct some of the complaints - especially the use of RAW files. any thoughts? thks again.
chainsdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 1:58 PM   #2
Zal

I'm in the same boat as you (tentatively decided on the 828), but I am waiting until after PMA (a few more weeks). The reason is not for Sony to do anything, but to see if any comparable cameras are introduced at the show.

There is a rumor that a major manufacturer (I'm guessing Canon) will be releasing a 10X image stabilzed zoom prosumer camera, which would be very competative with the 828. Also, there's a rumor that Milolta will be releasing the Dimage A2, also a potential 828 peer.

I'd be real upset if I spent $999 on a Sony 828, only to have Canon release an 8MP, 28-280IS with lower noise and chromatic aberrations for $799. :-)

So, I'd say if you can wait until the end of February you'll be pleased that you did.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:32 AM   #3

Indeed, wait until after the PMA is over. Wait and see what all the new offerings have to offer. If nothing else, it may force a price drop on the 828.

Minolta will have an A2, which may be a direct competitor to the 828 with a 28-200mm lens and 8MP CCD. We should know in about a week.

Failing a compelling alternative, I too will go for the 828.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:55 AM   #4

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=20497
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:15 AM   #5

Default Re: sony f828 - now or wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsdb
after going to numerous forums and looking at pictures taken, i have decided that the f828 is a great camera and am looking forward tp purchasing it. thks guys.

only question now is whether i should get it now or wait and hope that sony might tweak the camera's production to correct some of the complaints - especially the use of RAW files. any thoughts? thks again.
Waiting never hurts. Newer shipments of the 828 may include some firmware enhancements in the near future, but also there are as others have said, more models coming out from other makers which may have addressed some of these issues. Minolta's A2 (which I think uses the same Sony CCD) sounds good (with image stabilization too), and the new Canon Pro1 with the Canon "L" lens looks promising as well.

Atlantagreg
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 4:30 PM   #6

Bah!! "Waiting never hurts"... but in this accelerated technical world, you can go on waiting infinitely because there's always something more proming on the horizon... even though very promising competing 8-megapixel cameras have been announced at that photo exhibition, it will take several months until you can actually buy any of them... and in that time, lovely spring months and good photo opportunities will have gone. Just choose the current model that you like best, buy it, and use it. You'll be happy.
laja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:16 PM   #7
NHL

The Minolta A2 will be available by the end of February, 2004 only a few more weeks... In time for Spring!

Beside the IS, the A2 weights much less and with the improved EVF it'll be hard to beat... especially with the buffered RAW output: http://luminous-landscape.com/about/pma2004.shtml :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 8:11 PM   #8

http://www.photo.net/gc/view-one?cla...d_ad_id=567234
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote