Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:55 PM   #1

Default Sony Cybershot DSC-HX20V Full Review:

Owner of the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX9V, and now the HX20V. I thought I start this topic, so all can post their expeirence and thoughts to share , of the Sony HX20V/B

Look for updates to the main topic. and 2nd post, Thank you for sharing and have fun with your new HX20V:

This is the Poormans Review, the Good, the Bad the Ugly.

How I went about my pricing of the Sony Cybershot DCS-HX20V/B model. I used my moderator's power, ha ha ha. just kidding. I found the best online price available, and purchased, that simple. Look for your regional deals?

This cam Retails for $399.99, can be found for around $350.00 , and as low as $319.00 while one may drop a dollar or two here and there, be careful who you purchase from?

Sony, The Cybershot DSC-HX9V, First Awaited model came out, made a smash hit, with very rough times. The camera also sold for the same going price of $399.99, and still a very popular camera:

16X optical zoom 16 megapixal camera fully automatic, with Manual features. Check out Sony.com for futher detail.

Descriptions of camera:

Being a Previous owner of the Sony cybershot DSC-HX9V. My new cam just arrived. I could not wait. I opened the box in hand. FINGER smear on screen, Camera is LIGHT, some how differently shaped, and Miissing that special look, of the HX9V. sometimes to much of one color is to much. not for the HX9V.

Each photo was taken with the sony. Hx9v for the HX20V, and HX20V for the HX9V

Photo 1. Top views:

HX20V, on flash Big letters, and Progressive added. HX20v noted on back top of cam Custom, On/off, stereo, next to controls and features. Spin wheel is Larger. buttons are changed round, and oval. Mic is wider and more flushed. a Solid black on black top, and shaped differently to.

compared to the HX9V Mirror or metal look, smaller and more indented onl/off button, and less info.

Some may like the HX9V top design better, black makes it look sportier on the HX20V, Cosmetica vsactual use, that is the real quetion.

Photo 2 back views

HX20v 3.0 inch screen easily smudgable, Hard Plastic thumb rest. Buttons are rounded, spin wheel with thin /narrow grooves.

comparing to the HX9V showing a GGS lcd viewfinder,screen protector on, Soft wide thumb rest, a squarish play button, a wider grooved spin wheel. with metal like look, while the HX20V has more a sportier look, fonts showing controls and features

Photo 3 Front view

Looking at the front the barrel is more beveled, no lil off sets, some stickers, a sensor and rubber grip wrapped around compared to the HX9V looks about the same.

Photo 4 bottom views

the HX20V bat door opens exposing acenter Blue tab to hold the bat. and sd card, thicker bat door, meta tripod holder, and Smaller usb mini port
comapred to the HX9V bat door is thinner and blue tab in corner easily to slide bat in, regular usb port.

Photo 5 side views

HX20V gps font and HDMI port and grip, compared to HX9V the same

Feature and Functions of camera:

Turning on the cam, setting up first time is simple, and can be formated if and wanting to anytime of cameras record setting or the whole cam.

Additional features the HX20v now has some are so easy to use, and others way to complicated, due to the info provided.
we have photo efx can be enabled two different ways. A-I and menu, or spinwheel. combined with 3 other settings. Brightness , vivid and soft at your finger tips, added feature, instead of going through the cameras' tool box.

As we must remember this is a Fully Automatic camera from Sony. stil limitations on video. Locked video recording, manual and program controls.

One must sit down walk through the camera a number of time's and remember the controls, when you have figured out, and always like to set up a certain way you can lock 3 setting in MR wishing we could hve named them ourselves.

Onscreen now has changed to a larger format with placing a ggs viewfinder, now may obstruct the view some. Sony now has left out hte Optical zoom info of numbers , when zooming in you will not know X.X zoom which I find very important.

comparing some sstuff , the HX9V is still by far a excellent cam, wishing they have updated this into the Firmware but have no even tempted to tell anyone if this cam has firmware upgrading, while the HX20V does and located in the tool box ver 1.not athing on the hX9V?

continueing on to what we all have been waitingfor a quick sample and testing. I can tell you, Most video's out there do not show what I have found ot. and like better. so sit back and enjoy the show many video's are out there, and due to teh site not allowing a thumbnail of a video here look for links

Getting right to the point, what everyone wants to see, a video of the camera in real life use.

The Unboxing and review click me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeVRj...ature=youtu.be

Here are some samples using this cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSZIQBxb8mA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HI4n3QNemY

Amazing if you ask, how the camera does a nice job, in no matter what situation you put it into?

Just a few more samokes and comarisons of other peoples work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR4ah...1&feature=plcp

My overal experience and conclusion of hte Sony Cybershot DSC-HX20V.

A excellent price, far less than hte Rx100 series and way more powerful, this cam, does what it is supposed to do, Shoot video in any conditions given. Compact, verstile, eligant, seek, outstanding, and absolute delight, using the HX20V

So go right ahead people ask away previous owners to new comers enjoy enjoy enjoy.

Thank you for reading and Please do not forget to comment below and rate comment and subscribe at the tube; hard work pays off . and thank you all

Last edited by fishycomics; Aug 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:19 AM   #3

Conclusion, realy want to read this coming soon
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:34 AM   #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4cL9VKmOaE

first mod to the HX20V and stll finalizing it
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:52 PM   #5

Note to myself, call Sony see if there are issues with loss of focus at start?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:47 PM   #6

note to myself:

USB connection giving troubes
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:47 PM   #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHv6CXrdj7s
aftermarket Lens
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:45 PM   #8

After the lens purchase, the day after. adhesive just falls off. contacted and no response, allowing tine. I say to good to be true. just me
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:48 PM   #9

While in ownership my cam ,and the fun I am having i sent my camera on vacation for R-R?

crapped out. focus before recording still or video Off?

USB port loose from circuit board?

contacted Sony never in my life have I ever heard a company say "Send cable in only" and then say just send cam only no box no protection nothing.

So after hours chatting, days chatting, and on a phone call. I have my cam in transit for repair? I love my HX9V, the HX20V a different story? should i get a canon, a nikon, nah the sony rules
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:51 PM   #10

I just bought an HX20V 2 days ago after reading a whole lot of good stuff about them. I just posted my preliminary review a few moments ago. I found it was reasonably easy to set up but I will leave mine in the Intelligent Auto mode for now. At the moment, I am non-committal about its performance. It has shown good and not so good for what I expected but it has plenty of features and I am sure that it can be cutomised plenty...

Like you mentioned above, I too found fingerprints and a smudge on the screen too and they weren't mine,, and the bag it came in was sealed. Not a nice first up greeting, is it..???
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote