Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:33 PM   #1

Default 828 remote cord

Is anybody using that remote cord RMDR1 for the 828, or is it even available yet? I'm getting tired of using the timer in place of a remote cord for slower shutter speeds.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:05 AM   #2

Register you warranty with Sony online, you can or order that remote cord for 20% off (they will give you the discount code), this one I believe, is not available at any local or internet dealer yet, except Sony.

I ordered it with other accessories, such as the new TTL flash, the wide strap and it came in within 4 days, the strap came from USA warehouse, the flash and the remote cord came directly from Japan via overnight Fedex at normal charge.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I've had my 828 since late December and still have'nt gotten around to registering. I'll have to get right on that and take advantage ot the 20% discount.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:58 AM   #4

I think that remote is not available any more.

I'm using instead the RM-DV1, I found it on the web (www.digitalfotoclub.com -they have it on stock-). I tryed to get if from Sony, but I was not able to get in touch with them with the 800 numbers. I think you could also get if from their website (www.sonystyle.com)

You can also use this remote with Sony camcorders which have LANC compatibility.

I just got it yesterday, so I have not had the time to play with it, but I found that the zoom bottoms on the remote do not work with the camera DSC-F828 (I think it is not possible since, as far as I know, you zoom -in and out- manually on the lens not with any buttoms on the camera).

Regads,
Go Gators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:42 PM   #5

:?: just a couple of questions.....

Firstly... [[email protected]]... how do you rate the wide strap. Do you believe it is a better option than the one suplied. What about comfort and handling, any hindrance?

Secondly... [Go Gators]... how have you got on with the RM-DV1?
I know it does not operate the zoom function for the Sony 828 but apart from that feature, do you believe it to be a good purchase?
What about handling, build quality, length of cabling....

Any info supplied gents would be appreciated.
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:47 PM   #6

Regarding the wide sony strap. I prefer using an independent brand of soft strap about 1.5"wide that is of a stretchy material (neoprene i think) that has "fastek" quick release buckles. that way I can use either the neck strap or release that and use the small narrow portion of the strap as a carring handle, plus the small part dosen't get in the way when using the camera or when in the camera bag. I have used "wide straps" such as the sony on other cameras and find them to be somewhat cumbersome and take up a lot of room in a small camera bag. These types of neck straps are available at most camera stores, are priced much less than the Sony strap and are very comfortable to use.

As far as the remote cord is concerned I don't have that yet but will get it eventually because I consider a cable realease an integral piece of camera equipment for slow work. Using the timer is awkward and the timing for the release of the shutter is not precise.
The reason I have not gotten the remote cord yet is I had originally wanted to get the 20% discount on accessories if you registered online but since I didn't get a registration card with my camera and Sony can't seem to figure out how to get me one I guess I'll just have to buy it outright at a store. I've been very disappointed in dealing with Sony support (sic). Hope this helps.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 7:52 PM   #7

[Ardent]

Regarding de RM-VD1 remote, you can find all the specifications from Sony:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...oductSKU=RMVD1

Here you'll also get a list of compatibility (several Sony camcorders and other DSC's).

I don't know if this link (above) would work, in the worst case, just search for the remote at www.sonystyle.com (DSC RM-VD1).

I can only say that for my needs, I consider it a good purchase.

The unit is small, but I have not found problems dealing with it, just need to get used to it. The cable is ~5ft. It does not seem to be an extremely robust device, I have no drop it yet (and I don't plan on doing it). It also has a "clip" (see the picture on the specs).

If you are considering Sony remotes, I remember I also saw a built in remote on a tripod. If you're interested I'm sure you can find it on the Sony webpage.

I hope this helps.

[Harleyguy]

You're not the only one disappointed with Sony support, I got to the point that I can't stand listening to "MAX"...
Go Gators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:34 PM   #8

Thanks guys....
Sony Support continues to be the perverbial pain in the butt... hence why I asked for support from outside their area.

I have the web information as to the 'remote', it's just that I needed to find someone who has used this piece of equipment at first hand. I thought it looked a bit flimsy, now my fears have been proven. I will still get it as it is going to be integral with my photographic demands.... Lets just hope it can take the punishment of extreme nature elements (the camera is protected) but not me ........ and the remote!!!

The non-sony strap is an interesting idea, something I did'nt consider, but now the idea has been given, I certainly will follow it up.

Now if only there was a cheaper cover for the Sony 828.... The LCJ-FHB cover looks right but is expensive..... sigh's again....
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:54 PM   #9

ME to Max:Get Screwed..........Max:Get Screwed, did I get that right. :P
Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:18 PM   #10

There are better alternatives than the than the LCJ-FHB for the money. for that price you can get a nice little camera bag to carry your gear such as the remote cord, filters, spare battery an lcd hood if needed, the manual, close up filters, etc and all this can go into a small camera bag.