Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 11, 2004, 2:11 PM   #1

Default Sony DSC-U30 Memory Stick vs. Memory Stick Pro

I just bought a new Sony DSC-U30. Is there any advantage to getting a memory stick pro card vs. a regular memory stick? Will it be faster in this camera? I also have an older camera that cannot use the pro cards. Thanks
blovela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:33 AM   #2

As far as I'm aware, the U30, cannot utilies the extra "speed" of the Pro, only the capacity.

Now there's a thorny issue. The MS Pro 256MB is actually 229MB i seem to remember. This is becuase the encryption stuff for the magic gate feature of it takes up extra space, and you can't delete it!!!!

Talking of Speed, my F717 doesn't record much faster to the MS Pro as opposed a standard MS. At most 20% faster - not huge.

Get yourself a 256MB MS Select, it's cheaper than the Pro and has more capacity. Only niggle is having to switch between two 128MB capacities. But I'd reccomend one over the Pro.
David Harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 4:26 PM   #3

Ah, so it's the MagicGate crap that takes up all that space? Well, now at least I know why my 512 MS Pro is only 468 MB! It's pretty ridiculous. What is Magic Gate even supposed to do? They should offer Pro sticks without it for people who are only planning to use them in cameras.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:07 PM   #4

Wow, it's 44MB on the 512. That smarts.

I was in a pickle over the 256MB Pro and 128MBx2 and couldn't figure what one i wanted, then common sense kicked in and I saved 20 ordering a 128x2. Then EBuyer charged me for the 128x2 but sent me the Pro!!! Jammy.

Was tempted to Ebay it, so ordered another one (to see how often they would do it), but they sent me a 128x2 :-( Thats when I thought I'd see how much faster it was....

Well, the only worthwhile increase in speed was in formating. Interestingly. One half of the 128x2 took 22secs to format, but the 256Pro took only 2!!!!!

Oh yeah, and I noticed that you can take images in more rapid succesion (with the F717 at least) if you format the stick once you've finished offloading pictures rather than just delete them. Thats when the 2sec format time becomes handy! This increase was best shown when recording Tiffs. Can't remember the exact time, but it's still weird.
David Harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 9:34 PM   #5

David Harman wrote:
Quote:
As far as I'm aware, the U30, cannot utilies the extra "speed" of the Pro, only the capacity.

Now there's a thorny issue. The MS Pro 256MB is actually 229MB i seem to remember. This is becuase the encryption stuff for the magic gate feature of it takes up extra space, and you can't delete it!!!!

Talking of Speed, my F717 doesn't record much faster to the MS Pro as opposed a standard MS. At most 20% faster - not huge.

Get yourself a 256MB MS Select, it's cheaper than the Pro and has more capacity. Only niggle is having to switch between two 128MB capacities. But I'd reccomend one over the Pro.

Agree with the above. Since its a U30, you don't really care about speed as much as quantity.

Since your movie mode is no audio anyways, the increased capacity in 1 stick isn't that big of a deal.

So save some moeny and go for the 128x2 select stick.
sonyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 9:45 PM   #6

A 256MB card of any description for a U30 is like almost inifnite storage.

I get around 150 images on a 64MB stick with my U20. I'm pretty sure that the compression alogorithm is the same for the U30, so with a 256MB card, you should expect 600 images or more. That's a ton of stuff to lose if there is a stick error or if it gets damaged.

I prefer to have several 64MB sticks which, for me is ideal; cheap, available, and since I generally need to change batteries anyway, changing the stick is not a big deal, and they are more compatible with garden variety card readers.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote