Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:31 PM   #1

Default Help understanding Intelligent vs Superior Automode on Sony RX100

Hi,
I am a Canon shooter, both DSLR and Point and Shoots. I usually take a P&S on vacation, use auto, AV, and P modes. I know nothing about Sony.

I have a Sony RX100 on order, and of course will be here a day before a trip.

So I was hoping someone could give me the quick version of the two auto modes. I will be using this for family shots, around pool, beach, dinner etc.

Thanks
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:40 PM   #2

Anybody? There are no Sony people here
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:29 PM   #3

These two modes are included in the latesst point-and-shoots from Sony, including the Nex series and Cybershots such as the DSC-WX300. They are basically automatic do-it-all (or almost) settings intended for quick use or for beginners/amateurs. As your learning curve increases, you will make less use of these features, except in rush "grab shot" situations. The iAuto mode automatically selects what it determines is the best of the preselected scene modes and exposes accordingly. The Superior iAuto (or iAuto+) does the same, with the exception that it can make multiple exposures and combine them into one (auto HDR, etc) - these are processed in camera and take longer to complete, and so this "advanced" mode is slower and takes longer to complete than iAuto, resulting in more time elapsing between shots, but can result in better pictures under some conditions. As you learn which of the scene modes are most appropriate for a given situation, you can select these scene modes manually as well, thus avoiding these two auto modes. Or use the P,A,S,M, modes since you are comfortable with these.

Last edited by penolta; Sep 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote