Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 21, 2002, 1:12 AM   #1

Default Sony USB drivers won't install

I just purchased the Sony DSCF-707 and their memory stick reader/writer. The MGI photosuite software as well as the USB driver will not install. The USB driver CD that came with the memory stick reader does the same thing. I have a Hewlett Packard 9680c which has a USB hub. The packaging that the reader/writer came in says that operation is not guaranteed in devices that use a USB hub. Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions? I'm probably going to return both camera and reader/writer unless I can run the software and store my jpegs on my computer.
jim444j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2002, 9:47 AM   #2

what O/S is hp?
Is hub "powered"?
did you follow usb install "100% exact"?
did you try to use port that anther device has been installed or an attempt to install was made?
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 3:09 PM   #3

Thanks, Gary, It's Windows 98se. There are two usb jacks on the keyboard and two on the back of the pc. I have the mouse connected to the keyboard and a brother HL-1440 laser printer connected to the pc. I disconnected the printer during the attempted installation. Everytime I try to install the driver I get the message "The directory or file cannot be created" I tried to find "other devices" in the system properties/device manager like it says on page 42 of the DSCF-707 manual but they don't appear. I'm going to try Sony tech support.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 4:45 PM   #4

Jim,
Keep printer in USB prt #1.
got to store buy "powered USB HUB, go by the size/rating of power supply to judge quailty. plug hub into usb slot closest middle of computer. plug keyboard/muse into #2 slot on hub.

delet all install attempts of cam/card reader. after deleted reboot, next follow instruction 100% for reader using the #1 slot on hub for it. Next after reboot follow instructions for cam usb 100% as all USB devices INSTALL DIFFERENTLY. Do not after succsecful install use the port for different usb device, why? devices stay happy that way and it works.
Gary

Last usb ports on keyboard would not use nothing but standard usb mouse in them, personnally would not use at all.
G

[Edited on 8-21-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Old Aug 21, 2002, 9:58 PM   #5

Problem solved! I called Sony tech support. The technician had me try installing it again and when that didn't work he said that there must be something wrong with the install shield software and to go to the install shield web site. I did and there was an item about the windows temp folder being too full to decompress files for installation. I then opened the windows folder in my computer and right clicked the temp folder. It had over 800mb of internet files in it! I deleted all but the ones associated with programs. This took about 12 minutes. Then I rebooted and the software installed correctly. I really appreciate the suggestions, Gary, even though the problem was elsewhere.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 8:03 PM   #6

Jim,
Even thouh its happy today, cut and paste these facts. If your only port are 2 off MB and 2 off of keyboard next UUB install will not be fun. I answere these while doing repairs and builds here (since 1977, free to members here), get paid for all other, computers my thing, cameras my hobby.
Gary