Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:06 PM   #1

Default Anyone notice autofocus problem on F828?

I've been having an interesting problem recently with my F828. In Autofocus and full telephoto (or even mostly telephoto:-), I can see the camera focus very criply and then back off to a blurrier setting.

This are mostly sky shots (I specialize in landscapes and sunsets). Manual focus does it just fine.

It's even a bit wierder: I shot the moon from in front of my apartment one day and simply could not autofocus at all. Just got a blurry mess. The next day I tried it again with (I believe) the same settings and got a perfectly detailed new moon!

Question: Are there known issues or should I send this camera in for repair?
aakalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:28 PM   #2

Does it pulse. Make sure macro isnt on , that tends to make it drift in and out.

Allthough the camera is a bit odd in autofocus. I noticed this and mentioned it as well on some forums...

The camera bases focus on contrast and light. So in certain instances it may not be able to focus.

As well , if it goes to focus on an image , that it cant get in focus anyway it wont just aim for the range it should go. It will go and basically bounce back....
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 1:09 AM   #3

Default Autofocus

>>Does it pulse. Make sure macro isnt on , that tends to make it drift in and out.

>>Allthough the camera is a bit odd in autofocus. I noticed this and mentioned it as well on some forums...

I think you're referring to "hunting". No, it's not hunting. It goes right to perfect focus, through it and into out-of-focus.

I'm going to do a comparison shoot as soon as the weather breaks using the F828 and F717.

To be honest, even the manual focus looks a bit soft to me in objects that are far into the "depth of field". I'll let everyone know how the tests come out. I'm not a happy camper, at the moment, as sunsets and landscapes are my specialty and I'm not doing real well with this camera.... although, to be honest, objects in the near distance and middle distance are amazing. Objects at infinity seem to be incredibly soft.
aakalan is offline   Reply With Quote