Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 31, 2014, 1:58 PM   #1

Default Sony QX-100

Sony loaned a QX-100 to me for evaluation. Soon after I received it, the person that sent it to me was reassigned, it took a while for someone to take her place, and that person didn't know I had it. So, I had it for a while before I voluntarily returned it.

It's got a 1 inch 20MP sensor and a Zeiss zoom lens, so the image quality is very good.

Sony's QX Series cameras are intended to be operated remotely, via Sony's PlayMemories Mobile app that's available free for either Android or iOS smartphones or tablets. (Unfortunately, there's nothing for Windows. I'd have liked to pair it with my NetBook, but couldn't.) They connect via WiFi or NFC. They come with a SmartPhone attachment that can clamp to a smartphone (Note to self: Don't position a clamp over a smartphone button.) ...

... but I was comfortable keeping the camera in one hand and my smartphone in the other. (It did take a while for me to realize that if I wanted to change the composition, I needed to move the camera and not the smartphone.) In addition, the QX series cameras have tripod mounts, and I was happy to mount the QX-100 on my GorillaPod and leave it anywhere the mood struck me. I was able to wander around the room, yet still had the QX-100 take photos from wherever I left it.

Controlling it from my Android 4.1.2 SmartPhone or from my wife's iPhone 5 was equally easy, but after trying it from my wife's iPad Mini, I preferred that because of the larger screen and greater resolution. PlayMemories Mobile was equally useable from any device, and sharing the camera among them was simple. It should be noted that the camera can't be connected to more than one device at a time, and the device can't be connected to any other WiFi device while it's connected to the camera, so you must be connected to your cellular service for an internet connection in order for you to control a camera and upload photos to a photo sharing website simultaneously.

One thing I found annoying is that the zoom was jumpy and difficult to control, much more so that I generally find with P&S cameras and powerzoom lenses.

After not having used the QX-100 for a while, I decided to take it with me to a local festival my town was having, celebrating our town's history. (If not for our town, this country wouldn't have The Star Spangled Banner as our National Anthem.) I charged it up the night before, and took it with me to a booth I was manning. When I turned it on, PlayMemories Mobile, when trying to connect to the QX-100, asked for the password. The password is on the front of the Quick Start Guide which I didn't bring, and on the inside of the battery cover under the smartphone attachment, which I didn't know because I didn't bring the Quick Start Guide, so I didn't get any photos of the festival, parade, or the War of 1812 re-enactors that were quite impressive and that we had paid to be there.

I think that being able to control a camera via a smartphone is a useful feature, but having to use it exclusively is not such a good idea. Having WiFi on a conventional camera would be very nice, but I wouldn't be interested in a camera that required you to control it via another device.

The following photos are part of my Flickr Photostream, so you can double-click on any of them and have the option to see the full size original images if you are so inclined.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 1, 2014 at 6:08 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:11 PM   #2

There's an awful lot of these for sale on ebay and such like- perhaps telling a story...?
Hey- what happened to the "full size" images...?
Nice Yashica
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Hey- what happened to the "full size" images...?
If you click on any of the embedded photos, they will open in Flickr inside my Photostream. When viewing a photo there, you can click on the ellipsis (...) in the lower right corner of the black background to bring up a menu. One of the commands on that menu is View all sizes. When you click on that, you can select the size of the image you want to view, one of which is Original (5472 x 3648).
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote