Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 29, 2004, 9:33 PM   #1
hst

Default Sony F828 Owners, how do you like the camera

It seems there are a lot of mixed reviews. Many mention the image noise, purple fringe, etc.

Owners, how do you like the camera? Do most of the images require a lot of post processing? I will print up to 13X19. How do the images look with large prints.

Thanks!
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:19 AM   #2

I've only used the camera at the ISO 64 setting and usually on a tripod. That's me, for all else I use the DSC-V1 which is incredible. The prints from the 828? Stunning! In fact I have many that are gallery-bound as we speak (8x10- 16x20). I therefore do not deny problems with the 828 that some point out, however for me all is well.
gekoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:41 AM   #3

Default Re: Sony F828 Owners, how do you like the camera

hi there all i think this camera is great as for this so called noise yes you do see it at iso 800 and iso 400 but if thats a problem use a flash indoors apart from that this is a great camera its bult like a tank unlike the canon digital rebel that i have to takes very nice pictures that are on par with the canon the canon is a slr the sony is not, i think there is to many people out there moaning about tit for tat so stop moaning and go and take some pictures and dont forget there is no such thing as a perfect camera there will always be some BOD somewhere who will find something wrong with it so buy the sony forget the noise and go take some great pictures
steve
laserdischifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:39 PM   #4
hst

Default Thank you for the replies. What do you think about the Pro1

I noticed on steve has some comparisons between the pro 1 and the 828. The images of the pro1 look more saturated with less noise. My guess is that it is the compression ration he is using since the files are smaller that is causing the added noise, however which colors are actually truer?
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:16 PM   #5

Im new to the forums. I have owned both the 828 and f717. I will post a comparison of it soon.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 11:22 AM   #6

Did I hear correctly that you can't use a TC with the F828 b/c of the stress?
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:14 PM   #7
aka

What about macro pictures? Have you tried? If yes, how are they? Can you see some distortions?
Agnes
aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:17 PM   #8

I've had mine for two weeks. I'm into two main things: Macro Photography and Drag Racing. My first macro images were floral, excellent results. My first racing pictures the same, excellent.

I shoot on into dusk at the track and take 40-60 shots at a time. In PhotoShop all I have to do is crop to 8 1/2 x 11. Last year with an Oly C3020Z I had to adjust levels too. In Macro mode I usually just crop, size, and save for web. The quality of the images exceeded my expectations, needless to say, I'm satisfied. The Sony F828 was finally selected after six months research. This camera fit my needs and I didn't feel a SLR would do more for me than I expect from the Sony.
rdegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka
What about macro pictures? Have you tried? If yes, how are they? Can you see some distortions?
Agnes
My first post and a new F828 owner, here are some 'first' shots!

These are 1/200 scale airplanes.

JustPlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:07 PM   #10

Agnes, as I said in the post just above yours, I am entirely satisfied with the F828 in macro as well as action shots. I find it very fast compared to my Oly C3020Z and that was fast. My macros have not exhibited any fringe or any distortion. They are very sharp. I've heard some complaints about noise. In my experience as far as noise goes, I don't usually shoot beyond ISO 400 and rarely even above 200 so I've had nothing but good experience with what I've done so far.
rdegro is offline   Reply With Quote