Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 1, 2004, 7:43 AM   #1

Default SONY DSC P-12

I am sory about my English...
I have Sony P-12 and I have problem with fast moving objects. It's captured with "shadow". The shotter is slow (1/60). The result is pretty same even if I set Continues AF. Some pictures looks good but not always. What's the problem?
All setings are on AUTO.
ajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:59 PM   #2

moving objects will always with shadow(blurred) when the shutter speed is too slow.
e.g. all my motocross photos are like this one:

camera uses flash becouse of low light under the trees, time 1/40 auto and this is the result.On auto camera u can do nothing with it.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 3:40 AM   #3

OK, thanks but...
Can I fix some seting on PROG mode and when I have to capture fast (not race, just kids jumping) object just switch to P-mode?
I tryed to set on P-mode (spor) but LCD goes OFF and I do not see until I 1-press button to turn on AF-lamp. And I need to use flash or picture is complete black.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
but LCD goes OFF and I do not see until I 1-press button to turn on AF-lamp.
I dont understand this.P12 has a direct AF-lamp button? Im sure not.Its auto camera so u can do nothing with it, except setting sport mode.or set EV to - (but then pictures will be darker,but shutter speed faster)
Old Mar 5, 2004, 4:59 PM   #5

Quote:
I dont understand this.P12 has a direct AF-lamp button? Im sure not.
I am sorry.
P12 has not a direct AF-lamp button, but when I am in SPORT mode and indor, LCD goes OFF and I have to halfpress button to turn it ON for about 2 sec and then he goes OFF again.
I just do not understand whay LDC turns OFF when in SPORT mode.
I have to use viewfinder or several times halfpress button to turn on LCD for a 2 sec.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:43 PM   #6

In other mods -prog, snow, beach, night its OK?LCD turns off only in sport mode?thats strange.Because LCD on my camera turns off, when in setup POWER SAVE is ON.Then LCD turns off while charging flash.U have to half press shutter button to turn lcd on?Maybe its should be this way.Its a feature of camera.Maybe is related to the fact that in sport mode u are capturing fast object and camera wants that u use only optical viewfinder,.... or..... i dont know. :roll:
Post some pictures that are blurred and were taken in auto mode(but resize it to 800*600, last think I want do is downloading 2MB pics using 56k, save them with exif or write shutter time to them .I want see what are u talkin about)
Old Mar 6, 2004, 8:59 AM   #7

My camera is sony dsc-p10 model. The lcd is not off when the program set to sports mode. Are you trying to shoot in low light conditions? As far as I know, the picture in the lcd just become dark because of high shutter speed in under low light conditions. When you half press the shutter, the shutter refresh rate become slower to make the image brighter a little bit to adjust the focus. After the focus is set, the shutter speed is back to high speed mode and when the shutter button fully pressed the camera captures it. I suggests to always use flash under low light conditions, and if possible, always shoot in outdoor and sunny condition.
tesna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Are you trying to shoot in low light conditions?
Hi, tesna
Yes. That is the case. I use SPORT mode indoor for pictures of my kids when they jumping and etc....
When I'm outdoor LCD shows good pictures but indoors LCD is almost black. When I halfpress button I hear "click" and then LCD shows the pictures for 2 sec and then he goes bleck again.
I think you explain good that.

Quote:
Maybe is related to the fact that in sport mode u are capturing fast object and camera wants that u use only optical viewfinder
Hi, Marek
And I have POWER SAVE ON and LCD turns off while charging flash.
But I do not think that is the case whay in SPORT mode LCD goes black. Explanation of "tesna" is OK even I do not see whay I should I use optical viewfinder for fast object. Fasr object is not just SPORT. My kids indoor when I pictures them are also fast object. And when I use auto mode I have blury (with shadow) pictures.
I work about to send some pictures.

Quote:
In other mods -prog, snow, beach, night its OK?LCD turns off only in sport mode?thats strange.
Yes that is right.
Outdoor LCD is OK, but indoor with lights ON LCD is almost black. LCD is not turns OFF and I can see on my LCD some very "black" movements.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 5:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesna
My camera is sony dsc-p10 model. The lcd is not off when the program set to sports mode. Are you trying to shoot in low light conditions? As far as I know, the picture in the lcd just become dark because of high shutter speed in under low light conditions. When you half press the shutter, the shutter refresh rate become slower to make the image brighter a little bit to adjust the focus. After the focus is set, the shutter speed is back to high speed mode and when the shutter button fully pressed the camera captures it. I suggests to always use flash under low light conditions, and if possible, always shoot in outdoor and sunny condition.
yes, thats it.Tesna is right.Can u tell me what is the shutter speed difference between auto and sport mode.Try it outside an tell me what time camera sets with auto mode a what time with sport mod in same conditions.Do sport mode affect flash mode too?Or its always 1/40?
Optical viewfinder was only a idea, bad idea.And I have never use it for taking pictures, cos its impossible ...its too small.

And u know what i dont like ?This sony Pseries cameras always choose only between lowest an highest Aperture value.Olympus use full Aperture range.Its problem when ist cloudy and u use 3x zoom.Sometimes camera is choosing a very long shutter s.-1/80 and F10 Aperture and shows shake warning instead using lower Aperture and faster time.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:27 PM   #10

Hi, this is one test picture. She is moving hand and I take a shot. And look what I've got. It is not like this every shot. Sometime camera take nice shot and stops the "action", but...
Now is night and I can not make a test you tell me but I will do that tomorow. Then I will post again.