Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 4, 2004, 5:23 PM   #1

Default Canon Digital IXUS 400 VS Sony P10

Hello all,

I am wondering which camera to buy, I am leaning towards the sony P10 (higher resolution: 5mpx, unlimited video at 640x480, and the cam is smaller I believe). But I saw a good deal on an Canon Digital IXUS 400 as well (so now the prices are about the same, both around 370$), and even though the mega pixels are lower (and video res is only 320*240 limited to 3 minutes), I heard a lot of good stuff about the picture quality. Has anyone used both cams and can maybe compare the quality of the sony P10 pics compared to the Canon Digital IXUS 400 ones ? Or just has any experience with either cam ? Also in low light (both have a focus assist lamp I believe)

Thanks !

Jorn

ps: I have posted this thread also in the canon forum, but until now no reply and I would like to make a decision this weekend. So sorry for the double post, but I wasn't sure if everyone who visits the forum also visits the canon forum ...
Darthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:25 AM   #2

Hi,
I have P-12 (same as P-10). The question is what are you looking for. I have had problem with fast moving object but it is solved using SCN-mode (sport). It use 1/250 shotter speed and it stop allmost every action. But...
Because SONY has flash ~5cm horisontaly of the lens it produces shadow on the left side of the object. And it is agly for me. So when I use camera indor I trying to not use flash.
I do not know how Canon do with fast object but Canon is Canon. I meen leader. If I would buying now, I would pick Canon.
I did not use Canon but I think I have made mistake.
If you can go to shop and take Canon for one day and try it. Then you will see what is good for you.
ajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 1:41 PM   #3

Hey Ajan

Thanks for your reply !
I"m seriously starting to doubt whether to go for the P10 or the canon now. Unfortunately it's an online shop so I have no ability to test either cam I will look around if I can't find a comparison review somewhere, unfortunately since both have a different megapixel they usually aren't compared to eachother

Jorn
Darthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:25 PM   #4

I've looked for some family camera to picture my kids in diferent situation (indor, outdor, night, when they jumping...) and the test I've read do not include any of it. Test pictures are still pictures, resolution, ...
It is not just important is it 3.3 or 5 Mp. For me what important is that I do not have bloory pic and that it has good focus. I'll not make poster of that pictures.
I do not know what are you looking for.
Sony make good auto shots, and has some specific mode (like night shot and sport, ...), but Canon has more.
But I did not have Canon in my hand and I do not know how he works. Canon has Shoter priority and that is what mising me by Sony.

Look at some review at:
www.dpreview.com
www.imaging-resource.com
www.steves-digicams.com
www.photo.net

I'll hope you'll find something for you.
ajan is offline   Reply With Quote