Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Sony 828 software

Is it me or is the Sony viewing software a real pain and confusing to work with. I don't even see an option to rotate vertical shots, everything comes horizontally. I started using my old Minolta viewing software to view and save jpegs to the hardrive, very fast and easy and it allows you to rotate images to the vertical position. Too bad Photoshop CS is so costly, I would much prefer to the use raw plugin that comes with it to open the Sony raw files. It's obvious to me that the people that wrote the Sony viewing and data conversion program are not photographers.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:35 PM   #2

Have you tried using Paint Shop Pro 8....
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:44 PM   #3

I didn't even load it, I use PhotoShop CS. The Windows XP downloading Wizard will also allow you to rotate images after they have finished and the next screen pops up. My PS version handles Raw well.
rdegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:53 PM   #4

Photoshop CS is too costly plus I don't like the fact that Adobe requires you to activate the software and reactivate it if you use System restore. With the instability of Win ME I have to use the system restore feature occasionally. Currently I have a an older version of PS, wihich does not allow upgrading to PS7 for the upgrade price. I could open the files there I guess. The Minolta viewing software is easy to use. I also have used the Nikon viewing software which is also easy to use. Sony should get with the program. While I like the 828 very much I've already decided that my next digital camera will be an SLR from a major CAMERA manufacturer.

Does Paint Shop Pro 8 have a RAW file converter for the 828?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 2:44 AM   #5

[Harleyguy] asked:- Does Paint Shop Pro 8 have a RAW file converter for the 828?

Paint Shop Pro on it's own does not have support for the Sony RAW file format.
However, have you heard that as of 17 Mar '04: Chris Breeze has announced BreezeBrowser 2.9 beta 1.
It has display support for Paint Shop Pro files, and images from the Canon 1D Mk II and Sony F828. There is also "experimental" raw conversion for Pentax, Minolta and Olympus raw formats, plus a few other bits and pieces.

You can get the 2.9 beta file from
http://www.rogercavanagh.com/

Look under news archive on his main page (its the first news item).

Currently the Breeze Systems web page is only showing at version 2.8 and not the beta 2.9 strangley.

Hope this helps you.
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 6:21 PM   #6

thanks for the info
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:48 PM   #7

I got my CS through the local college, you should be able to find a student discount somewhere. I paid $299 for the full version, and had I known at the time for an extra $100 I could have had the whole Suite. If you had PS 7.0, the Raw plug in costs a bit too. Just my humble opinion for what it's worth.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:53 PM   #8

Oops..... forgot. I can sympathize with you having had ME, it drove me up the wall because it was so unstable. I finally bit the bullet and installed XP, yes you have to reactivate it too as well as CS but that doesn't seem to be a problem as the only time it struck is when I fried my drive.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:44 PM   #9

Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to install XP. The thought of reformatting my hard drive for a "clean install" Whew, what a job. I wish I had the money for a mac. Spent it all for this camera and a Canon 9000s printer.