Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:46 PM   #1

Default A week with the RX10IV

After seeing photo's taken with the RX10 III, I've been interested in getting a hands-on try for myself. Fortunately a good photographer friend of mine has one and agreed to let me spend some time with it.

I've had it for about a week now, and using a newer camera I realized how far I'm getting behind the curve with my digital darkroom. I tried to open some RAW files on my mac and couldn't. Because of this I didn't get to use the camera to its full potential. I couldn't open RAW files because my mac is too outdated to run the newer operating system (OS X 10.13 High Sierra). The new "apple camera raw" update which includes the RX10 IV was released after OS X 10.12 (my OS).

Another obstacle I have run into is my outdated photo processing software, which apple has stopped supporting. I've been reluctant to change.

Onto the camera.

I've had quite a few Sony cameras and this camera feels like the A55 with the 18-250 lens attached. Mostly because of it's size and grip.

The RX10 seems to have been designed slightly more for video then still photography. And then there's the menu. I have been through many Sony menu's but this one sets a new bar for difficulty. Sure it's nice to have so many options and I don't know if there's a simpler way to do things but this menu takes a long time to get comfortable with, way longer then a week.

This photo is a portrait with off camera flash. I used a HVL58 flash with an adapter to control two off camera flashes. EXIF in photo's.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:56 PM   #2

The long end of the zoom, thats one of the big selling points and it gets you way out there.
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Jan 17, 2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:01 AM   #3

The AF was very quick to find focus most of the time. But as with most cameras more light equals faster focusing.
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:07 AM   #4

For someone who wants a nice camera without getting into a system that requires different lenses this is a great option. There is quite a learning curve but if you can figure it out you will have an awesome video/still camera that you should be very happy with.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:43 AM   #5

Lomitamike,

Great post!

Nice pictures!

It looks like you really put the Sony RX10 IV through it's paces.

RE: RAW files . . . can you use one of the free editors like Darktable, Light Zone or Raw Therapee to pull in the Sony RX10 IV RAW files?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...-alternatives/

Also, can you point out any specifics about using the Sony RX10 IV that you did not like?

You were mentioning the menu system. Is it one of those things that most of the settings would be kinda ok, so ok to ignore most of the settings unless you want to really dive into settings?

And . . . is there a "My Menu" or "Favourite Settings" type short cut to the settings you use most?

Take care,

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Lomitamike,

Great post!

Nice pictures!

It looks like you really put the Sony RX10 IV through it's paces.

RE: RAW files . . . can you use one of the free editors like Darktable, Light Zone or Raw Therapee to pull in the Sony RX10 IV RAW files?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...-alternatives/

Also, can you point out any specifics about using the Sony RX10 IV that you did not like?

You were mentioning the menu system. Is it one of those things that most of the settings would be kinda ok, so ok to ignore most of the settings unless you want to really dive into settings?

And . . . is there a "My Menu" or "Favourite Settings" type short cut to the settings you use most?

Take care,
Hey thanks man.
I really didn't have enough time. I think it would take me about 6 months to get things dialed in the way i like them.

Yes, I am aware that there are alternatives to apple photo's to open the raw files. I'm just in-between software right now. Apple photo's aint cutting it thats for sure.

Im looking into finding a raw processor that has a good workflow with however I decide to organize my photo's.

The worst thing about the camera to me is the price. It's very expensive. $1,700, thats asking a lot for a bridge camera with a 1" sensor. The things I didn't particularly like about the camera? I don't like the electronic zoom. The camera is not that big, but after hiking with a NEX-6 then a A6000 it feels big. My A6000 with the 18-200 zoom fits into my jacket pocket and thats really nice. It's not the best alternative for hiking. Other then that I really like it. Even with the 1" sensor you can crop it down quite a bit and it still looks good. I couldn't do that with the Panny FZ200.

For what the RX10 IV is, it's nothing short of amazing. If your into video I think you will appreciate it even more then photographers do. The zoom range is only limiting on the wide side. It says 24mm but it seems like a long 24mm to me. 600mm is nice to have. The surfing photo I posted above is not cropped and I was a long way from the waves.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:16 PM   #7

Forgot to mention the custom menu. That's a great tool. If it was my camera I'd already have it 1/2 way setup. With all the options maybe having 2 separate custom menus would be better. 1 for stills 1 for video.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:52 AM   #8

I hear you,

Yes. To really get used to a camera, you really need longer than a week.

And on the electronic zoom.

The images, though, look really good!

Take care,

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote