Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 28, 2002, 11:02 AM   #1

Default F-707 problems ?

I'm ready to upgrade my 2.0 MegPixel to a 5 Megpixel.
I'm thinking on buying the Sony F-707.
Before I buy this camera I would like to know if anyone had negative experience with this camera. Even the smallest remarks/problems are welcome here ! tnx.
newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:18 AM   #2

Default The DARK (left) SIDE

I did have this problem until I exchanged my first unit. Examples at my site ; album:'reference'.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/8F77C555041245D
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2002, 2:39 AM   #3

Default thanks

Thank you for sharing your problem AND your beautiful pictures! (especially the ones with birds and flowers) I did know about the famous dark side problem, but because the problem is known and recognised by Sony it's possible that with a new camera I won't have the problem. And if I do, I have the very good right to change the unit ....
I'm convinced that the F-707 is a very fine camera but nevertheless I'm hesitating between this camera and the 5700 from Nikon ... I REALLY do have a problem in choosing between the two. And to be honnest: I'm not sure I like the design of the Sony, looks clumsy to me (the rather small and sleek camera itself with the enormous lens on the front of it ...). On the other side: Sony has some nice night-features, but the Nikon has a very good x8 zoom ... I wish choosing was not so difficult, maybe I schould just buy the two of them ( yeah, right ...)
Old Aug 30, 2002, 2:42 AM   #4

Default forgot to mention

oh yes, I forgot to mention this. I am also a happy customer of fototime.com. The software and website are a fantastic help for me in order to share familiypictures with my family living some 1.000 kilometers away from me ... really impressing service. Anyone else using fototime.com ? or maybe an alternative ? :-))
Old Aug 31, 2002, 5:01 AM   #5

Default Problems of 707??

Things i miss on the sony 707

-manual white balance
-saturation control
-faster aparture. 1/1000 is to slow for flying insects.

Things i like:
-Long uccu-life. 300min is long. The nikon will not last that long.
-design: It lies in your hand like you're on patrol.
Very easy to operate. Logical button placemant.
- not that slow if you want to take the picture.

Good luck
fterhaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 3:49 AM   #6

newbee,

I also use fototime, but have hosted by own site. Now it's useless for me to pay for fototime service, since I have tons of my own web space Indeed, fototime offers professional solutions for picture viewing/printing, etc.

My pic album can be found following the signature. I may consider to offer free host spase, of course if the user is able to make his own web site with photo gallery. cheers.
CEBEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 11:44 PM   #7

The flash stopped working on my F707.It just never pops up on it's own when it should.The camera is still under warranty.Turns out the warranty is 90 days for labor and parts and one year for parts only.Sony wants $170 to repair it and a local tech quoted $150-$180.

The flash works fine if opened manually, so there's nothing wrong with it, it's probably just the release mechanism.

Other than that I was pretty happy with the camera and Sony ,until this happened.
javra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 11:54 PM   #8

Default Follow up

And I was just going through the forum to see what other people have said about the problem and I did find one more instance where someone had the exact same problem.
javra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2002, 10:43 AM   #9

Default F-707 problems

I have experienced NO problems with the camera. I have taken it half way around the world and have had no operational problems. very rarly, it will do something real strange (OS problem),power off always fixes it. The F717 will be out in October i would wait for that. The photo quality from the Sony is second to none. you will not be unhappy.
klwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2002, 6:17 PM   #10

Default Sony DSC-F707 USB drivers & macintosh 9.1 problem

After taking pictures with my new camera, I can see them on the camera's LCD but my ibook does not recognize the memory stick. The ibook ask to initialize the disk. I bought a Lexxmark memory stick reader and get the same problem. Is there a fix? I need to burn these images to a CD for a customer quickly.
palzie is offline   Reply With Quote