Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:51 AM   #1

Default F717 Questions ?

I am looking to buy a new Digital camera and have narrowed my search down to two cameras.The Sony F717, & the Lumix FZ10. I did think about the Olympus 750 too but I keep going back to the 717 or the FZ10 because of their fine lens. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who owns or have used any of these cameras. For some reason I keep going back to the Sony F717 but want to make sure before dealing out the cash. Thanks!
woody3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:54 AM   #2

I have a 707, and use a 717 from time to time, both are very fine cameras. I can not speak to the FZ10. But the thing I have always found about the 707/717 and now the 828 is their shape and feel in Your hand. For most people they will love it or hate it, no middle ground. Go with the camera that feels best. I have always loved the feel of the 707 in-hand. If Your camera is in the bag You will not take many pictures.
rlpumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 7:43 PM   #3

Default F717 Questions?

rlpumphrey thanks for the reply with info I really appreciate it. One fellow pointed out to me in another forum that if I wanted a good all around camera the F717 is a very good choice, if I wanted something with a good telephoto lens then the FZ10 would be excellent. So right now I'm leaning towards the F717.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:29 PM   #4

I`ve graduated thro F505 / F707 to F717. For me it is a superb camera and now the 828 is out the 717 price is excellent. For me it feels good and easy to hold and balance, it`s rugged, the lens is out of this world so the pictures are awesome, the controls and menus are intuitive (not like some ), the EVF and LCD is great and the displays, particularly the histogram are excellent. The nighshot, nightframing and holgram are very useful. Don`t let anyone tell you about shutter lag. Go to manual focus, half press your shutter button, track your subject , press and bingo you score a bull. I agonized for months over which camera and have never regretted the F700 series. The current price of the 828 against entry level SLRs` and the fringing problem makes me lean towards the 717 if I was buying new.
Hope this helps

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 9:27 AM   #5

Default Re: F717 Questions ?

Hi Woody,

i have both..tho only been using the F717 a short time. unless you really, really need the 12x--which is nice, make no mistake--the Sony. my FZ10 has been nothing but headaches, aside from taking great moon shots.

wish i'd had the Sony a bit longer, but here's what i've noticed so far: *great* image quality. i'd swear it has IS, but it doesn't. focuses better, and faster than my FZ10 (which often never focuses at all, or goes Out of focus at half-shutter, who knows why). the design is super-interesting, see lots of potential there. it's easier to hold/more ergonomic, but Definitely heavier.

the zoom amazes me. was expecting..'eh, 5x, it's ok'..Wrong. you'll think it's 10x. course i'm not a cropper, so the digital part of the zoom doesn't bother me. honestly i can't tell (so far) where one stops and the other kicks in quality-wise. the lens movement is perfect.

Low-Light features! there's seemingly nothing it can't capture.

Karen
Karen 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:54 PM   #6

Default Sony F717 vs. Lumix FZ10

Graham & Karen good advice here on both your parts, and I have decided to get the Sony F717. I appreciate you both taking the time to post your comments. Tim
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:00 AM   #7

I have an F717 and love it! Most of my pics are from SeaWorld Fl. and I am shooting a moving object (killer whales). There are a couple of low-light places like the Polar Bear facility and the Shark encounter that I have never been able to shoot in. This camera will do it. The "Auto" functions are very good!

The zoom is nice too. It has good range. One of the best features though is the battery! You can shoot for hours. You will easily offset your cost for AA's in a short time.

My albums are at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/orcaobserver/2

I am sure you will be pleased with your choice!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 4:21 PM   #8

Hi Woody

Have you got your 717 yet. If so what do you think.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 8:58 PM   #9

Graham, Yes I have my new F717 and so far I think its great. I'm still learning and getting things here and there for it like more memory, case , etc. In fact I'm going to shoot some pics with it tomorrow.
Old May 27, 2004, 6:53 PM   #10

Hi guys!

I wanna introduce myself, my name is Vinicius and I'm a Brazilian fellow, who is entering in this fantastic world of digital photograpy.
I bought a 717 and I'm in love whith this nice pice. It's a great cam.
I've searched the foruns about 717, lens, etc and found that the users of it were very active (some people posted very practical answers). So I hope to keep in touch with another 717 users and learn a little bit about it.
If anyone would like to chat, I would be glad to!
icq # 42908536
msn [email protected]

viniciusmvaz is offline   Reply With Quote