Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 7, 2004, 11:26 AM   #1

Default Telephoto Conversion Lens for Sony DSC-F828 --- Feedback Ple

Telephoto Conversion Lens for Sony DSC-F828 --- Feedback Please

Please help with suggestions, and experience, on using one of these choices:

Raynox DCR-2020PRO

Sony VCLHGD1758

Kenko KRT-20PRO

There may also be more possibilities, including those with a lens thread other than 58mm, using an adaptor ring.

Of course, Optical vignetting is a major concern... What else do I need to be careful about ??

I have tried to contact Carle Zeiss for recommendations, but got '0' back from them...

This camera is a nice "PRO-SUMER" deal, with a lot more advantages than negatives. The fixed lens limitations is what I'm trying to improve here.

Many thanks.

Ed Kay

edkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2004, 1:51 AM   #2

I Have the Sony VCLHGD1758 Telephoto Conversion Lens which I used on the F717. Now that I have sold it and bought the F828, I use it on this camera.
Itís a very heavy lens :shock: but gives excellent results so you have to support it when using it. :lol:
amfalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:19 PM   #3

I purchased the Raynox's DCR-2020PRO 2.2XHigh Definition Telephoto Conversion Len and I very unhappy with it. The reason:
1) Zoomed in, at 38mm, a small hole shows up as the image. So small, the extra lens is useless.

2) Zoomed out, at 200mm, there are dark corners which is what Raynox's website says. I do not have a problemwith dark corners, but read on....

3) I was lead to believe that when I'm zoomed in, I would see the dark corners, which happens with my Sony DSC-S70 with a 2.0x Telephoto lens and when I'm zoomed out there are no dark corners. So in order to get a full picture you have to be zoomed out all the way with the Raynox lens.

4) On a tripod, zoomed out, the image is not completely clear, and I think it is because the auto-focus is hitting the DCR-2020Pro's lens and case at the same time. And yes I did check to make sure Auto-Focus and Macro were not turned on.

I'm going talk with Sony to see why their Black 58mm 1.7X Telephoto Conversion Lens VCL-DEH17VA for their DSC-F717 is not suggested for the DSC-828.

Cougars21_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:02 PM   #4

Doesanyone have more news on this thread ? I purchased the 828 a year ago, and have been very happy with it. I have some awsome safari photos, butlacked the ability to zoom in in some situations.

I was intending on purchasing the raynox until I read this...

Thanks

Dave

davidmaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:14 AM   #5

Dave,

I've talked with Sony, it is not recommend putting any weight on the end of the lensforthe DSC-F828 because the outside is metal but the inside is plastic which could break if anything heavier then a filter is placed on the end.

Derek
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:41 PM   #6

Derek

What did you do then ?Are you still using the F828.

Im not intending on using it everyday so Im prepared to be extra careful when using the extra lense, and take the risk. The extra magnification would be worth the risk. I would be prepared to sacrafice the x2 magnification to a x1.5 if there was a large difference in weight. If my memory is correct the close up lense ways about 75 g, the raynox lenses about 225g and the sony lense for the F717 is about 500g (but for the DSC about 230g.

Overall you have to think its a bit of a design lapse on the part of sony. If you look at the comparable cameras I would have thought that the Sony is one of the strongest. I can imagine that the coupling is ok as long as you dont go banging it around. Did sony have any other recommendations ? (I will take the opportunity to have a look at the cameras next time in a shop).

Thanks for your comments and support.

Dave

davidmaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:53 PM   #7

Dave,

As for the Raynox's lens, I think it is not worth it. Frist of all, with the Raynox's lens on the F828 and at 38mm, you get a very small hole as an image which you can not see very well. I have another 2x lens for my older sony camera which gives me a whole picture with a little black in the corners when Zoom in. Withthe Raynox's lens, you have to be at 200mm to get the whole picture with blackcorners.Plus itdoes noFocus well,I would manual focus because I think the targeting system hits the Raynox's lens and does not focus right. I already sent back the Raynox's lens.

Derek
Old Jan 24, 2005, 4:35 PM   #8

This teleconverter from Sony Sony VCLHGD1758is perfect in quality...

Heavy, but I love it...

http://www.pbase.com/lebororo/image/38936829

Try the smart-zoom with it , you could be surprised for the result!

lebororo

Attached Images

rjoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:05 PM   #9

Oh wow! I was all set to buy the Raynox lens. It was recommended to me by B&H Photo. Now I'm not sure what to do. I tried contacting Sony, but they are poor at answering emails and giving customer support. Is the consensus then that the VCL-HGD1758 works best?

Hope to hear more input. I really would like to get a good lens, but new at this kind of stuff.
Shepherd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:34 AM   #10

The Olympus B300 (1.7x) worked well with the F707/717 so I would imagine it would work with the F828. It might be a bit hard to find since it's been discontinued, but the Olympus TCON-17 is supposedly the same lens. It has 55mm threads so a step-down ring would be needed. It's about half the price of the VCLHGD1758 and much lighter. I've seen a comparison of the Sony, Olympus, and Raynox teleconverters. The VCLHGD1758 did best, but the TCON-17 was a very close second. The Raynox lens didn't do well at all. I think if you did a search for the B300 or TCON-17, you could probably track down the site. Cougar, teleconverters are not meant to be used "zoomed in". Why would you try to use a teleconverter at 38mm when your camera's lens already handles that? Teleconverters are intended for use beyond the camera's telephoto limit; and there's usually a gap (from 190mm to perhaps 220mm) even with the best lenses where vignetting still occurs.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote