Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 28, 2004, 3:38 AM   #11

DCRP has a photogallery of pictures taken on W1. I have to say that I'm impressed, compare them to the ones taken on Oly C60 or those taken on same subjects with V1!
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 1:47 PM   #12

I'm really excited about the W1. On the Canadian Sony site, I was able to download the full manuals for the W1, P93 and P100. The W1 and P100 are almost identical feature-wise, but have quite different bodies and different size screens. The W1 has a 2.5 and the P100 a 1.8. However, I'm now turned off the P93! Not only is the screen size 1.5", but it doesn't have the Zeiss lens, nor the number of scene mode selections of the other two and...most importantly for me, doesn't have the trim, crop, save new image feature of the other two. I'd really recommend taking the time to download those manuals. For me, the W1 and P100 will be well worth the $50 extra over the P93.

Old Rooster
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 4:08 AM   #13

I would like to upgrade my minolta xt with something like it but more powerful and has AF light assist which my xt doesn't have. Maybe a W1 or the T11 would be nice for an upgrade - T11 because it is super small but the lack of lens cover seems to disuade me - so maybe W1 would be better. Still waiting for the review of T11 thou.

Ching
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 10:23 AM   #14

I've just ordered my W1 on Amazon UK for £275 . It says delivery time is 1-2 Weeks. Cool!

That's also the cheapest proce I've seen (Jessops are selling it for £349). I've added a 256Mb Mem Stick Pro & in total they come to the same price as just the camera at Jessops!!!
gizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 9:07 PM   #15

gizzer wrote:
Quote:
I've just ordered my W1 on Amazon UK for £275 . It says delivery time is 1-2 Weeks. Cool!
Quote:

That's also the cheapest proce I've seen (Jessops are selling it for £349).

Yes, that's pretty ace. Unfortunately, Amazon.co.uk are not (yet) advertising the W12.

I found a place in the Channel Islands offering both at very competitive prices "VAT free", but I'm wary of that, plus they didn't reply to my enquiry about shipping costs, so I think Amazon will probably get my order if/when they come up with the W12 at a similarly bargain price. (I'm a bit sanguine about the "1-2 weeks" - I've had experience of Amazon.co.uk and Sony kit in the past...usually turns up in the end, but I've learned to be patient ... )

Montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 3:30 AM   #16

The W1 is definitely worth waiting for! The video is crazy! It truly is TV Quality.Goodbye video camera, hello W1 Digital Camera!

:PSomeone wrote on this post that with a 1G pro stick you can get 12 minutes of video. That's not right. I read on Sony.com that you can get 44 minutes of video on a Gigabyte Stick.

Anyway, I hope the latter is true at 30fps. At DCRP there is a sample of the video the W1 takes which should be the same as the P100 since it also claims TV Quality video. If you have high speed definitely check the video out. It really is amazing Quality.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 5:25 PM   #17

Hi People,

Someone ( ex gizzer ) have received dsc-w1 ?

raaaaahhhh i want it ...

@+

Bouba
Bouba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 5:56 PM   #18

Hi ( Portuguese here)

I wanted to go directly for a Digital SLR Nikon D70, but I thought playing aroundbefore spending the bigGreen ones...

I've ordereda W1 Last week from a German site. I hope it arrives soon to Portugal... let's see.

For what I've read it's a great camera ! I'll post my opinion once I try it.

By the way.... I got the DC W1 for 364 Euros !!!! + 73 Euro SanDisk Memory Stick Pro 256Mb + 20 Euros Shipping... ? What do you think!!!

Crespo.pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 11:50 AM   #19

I am definately going to get a W1. That said based on my expereince with my Olympus D-40, which also uses just ***2 ** AA batteries and has a far smaller LCD, I expect the W1 will eat batteries up *very fast*as my D-40 does. With a2.5 inch LCD, the camera is going to be a battery hog and just running on two batteries will accentuate that problem. This won't deter me though asI really like everything else about the camera and actually prefer cameras tht take AAs over proprietary batteries you have to keep charged.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 6:00 PM   #20

Hi

Even so ... for 2 AA Batteries , Sony says 340 shots. The full charge time for them is not so hot... still +/- 6 hours asit was for my old P72.

It will be a must to a haveaother AA pair... just in case...

Delivery Times for my W1: 3 Weeks (5 -12 June)

Cya

SRC.pt
Crespo.pt is offline   Reply With Quote