Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 31, 2004, 11:28 AM   #31

Hi guys!

For my first digi cam I also considered to buy the W1.

Now Im living in EU (as many of you) and also have the

problem that it isnt available yet, but I asked at my

local store, and guess what, they expect the W1 for the

7th of June!!!! :? (They said it will be availabele

@ 4th but they expect it later)

And just for 364 € !!!! Here's the online shops URL

http://www.redzac-shop.at/ (but its german)

Just a question for those lucky W1 owners: Is the W1

compareable with the V1 (quality of photos)? Or is the V1

waaay better?

(BTW. WowBB sucks
:roll: )
For3st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 12:09 PM   #32

For3st wrote:
Quote:
Just a question for those lucky W1 owners: Is the W1

compareable with the V1 (quality of photos)? Or is the V1

waaay better?

(BTW. WowBB sucks
:roll: )
I wish I knew for sure ... I Don't have my W1yet... and I only believe in what I see...

Crespo.pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:43 AM   #33

Guys,

I've just been through all this in taking weeks to choose a camera in the 3-5MP range. What has become obvious is that you need to find something that suits your own needs and this may not be reflected in some damming statement of a small technical failing under review test conditions.

Similarly it is very dangerous to take on trust those reviews that nominate this or that camera as having "excellent/perfect/amazing" image quality. There may an issue that you find important and cannot live with that takes certain very well regarded models out of the running.

The most important thing is to obtain images that you find pleasing overall.....as Crespo.pt says.

Taking the specific issue of white balance then if the W1 has a capable auto system why is the lack of a manual setting crucial? The W1 is a quality point and shoot, it isn't a commercial snapper's camera...or a studio portrait one.

I've taken almost 2000 digital images with Sony (mostly)cameras on autoand white balance has never been an issue. Frankly there were more problems with my 20+ years spent with a 35mm SLR where different film types and developing labs could apply radical "tints" to your images.

Taking up the point Sinister Purpose makes about the V1 (links to a test where the V1 is "proved" to have poorauto white balance)I've looked at the 100 or so test images I took with that camera (indoor/outdoor) when I had it on loan two weeks ago. The overall impression is of superb quality shots and the white balance isn't an issue you would pick on as a fault.

Dave (OR) - I've looked at my newSony and assuming the W1 has continued the same operational method....

You can't alter the white balance mode in Auto but need to select Program. Then the white balance modes come up on the menu button and can be changed. The setting you make is held, even with the camera turned off and on again, until you change it again. If you select full camera Auto mode the white balance also returns to auto but when you select Program again it is still set to the last white balance mode you selected.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:10 PM   #34

Crespo.pt wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Even so ... for 2 AA Batteries , Sony says 340 shots. The full charge time for them is not so hot... still +/- 6 hours asit was for my old P72.

I recently bought a (non-Sony) "smart-charger" for NiMH (and supposedly NiCads) AA (and AAA) batteries, which charges up 4 batteries in a lot less than 6 hours. (Can't remember the exact time). The batteries that came with it also seemed to have a bit more capacity than the ones Sony is referencing in its W1/W12 material.

I got this charger partly in anticipation of getting a W1/W12, and partly because AAs are so generally useful. It was cheap and a good investment I think.

Possibly worthwhile any W1/W12 owner looking around for something similar as a cost-effective addition to their "armoury".

Montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:52 PM   #35

Sony also do a "Super Quick" AA/AAA charger.

It will charge 4xAA in 4hrs and 2xAA in 2hrs.

Model no. BCG-34HC

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:04 AM   #36

The W1 definately looks like a good replacement for my trusty old DSC-P5. The price point (about $399 US) definately beats other offerings in the compact/ultracompact market such as the Canon S500, Nikon CoolPix 5200, Konica Minolta DiIMAGE D600 that are mostly going for $450-499.

I am not worried about the lack of manual white balance, as not too many others in the compact/ultra compact have this feature either. If you are looking for more professional manual features, then step up to the V1 or the F828.

I am certainly willing to take the trade offs of features for size and price. If this camera lives up to some of the early reviews, it looks like it will be really nice.

Avaliability appears to be a problem. Despite the rumors of a late May release, I have not seen any retailers that have any in stock yet. Maybe a few more weeks still.

mixmstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:11 AM   #37

think i'm gonna get the w1 too. Should be a bit better than the p100..

in switzerland it costs 518 Sfr. thats 320€
and the W12 555 SFr
nujdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:16 PM   #38

nujdp wrote:
Quote:
think i'm gonna get the w1 too. Should be a bit better than the p100..

in switzerland it costs 518 Sfr. thats 320€
and the W12 555 SFr
Hello !

Could you please tell me in which store you found these kick ass prices ? :O

Have a nice day !

Piotr
piotr 135 is offline   Reply With Quote