Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:21 AM   #1

Default DSC-T1 Image Quality

Good pics outdoors on sunny days, but...

Indoor pics always look 'grainy' or seem to have a lot of noise in them.

Pictures taken with flash have incredibly bad red eye, even with red eye reduction turned on.

Is this what I can expect? Do other T1 owners see similar results?

I wanted a small camera but I don't know if I can live with this level of picture quality since I do want to use it for indoor/night events (parties, etc.).
jdifonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:46 PM   #2

Yes, the same experiences. I have a T-1, which I wanted for extreme pocketablility. If that is not your major goal, I would suggest finding something else.

The grain you talk about is noise created by the camera grabbing for light, since the stobe is rated out to only 5' on wide angle, you're mostly relying on ambient light. Most other cameras I've seen are rated out to 11' to 14''. Those 11' to 14' limits are pretty good for ordinary room shooting, but the 5' limit of the T-1 is just too tight. But remember, any camera strobe is going to have it's limits. The T-1 is just limited more than it should be, a serious oversight IMO.

I'm going to add a Nikon D70 and a Nikon SB-800 strobe to my collection, using the T-1 only when I need the pocketability.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:13 PM   #3

The T1's not a "party" camera. The flash is far too weak to take good pictures in a large room. While you can increase the flash level (check the manual), it's not going to let you take great pics from across the room. If you're going to take indoor pics don't use the zoom at all. That'll just make things worse.

Check the specs for cameras next time around. Lots of the small ones have effective flash ranges that are double that of the T1. The cameras are a bit larger and the resolution lower but they're still decent.

The T1's more of a "grab a quick snapshot" camera that's small enough to carry with you all the time. It's main selling points ar its size and speed. You can pick up a lot of 4-5mp cameras for less money but none can slip into a pocket as easily. And you can snap off about 1 pic a second until your memory card is full (provided you don't need a flash and you turn off the image review). I don't think any other camera in its class can do that. Those are the things that sold me. I knew about the weak flash and mediocre indoor shots when I bought it so I wasn't terribly disappointed when I saw the pics.
jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 9:16 PM   #4

jtown wrote:
Quote:
The T1's more of a "grab a quick snapshot" camera that's small enough to carry with you all the time. It's main selling points ar its size and speed. You can pick up a lot of 4-5mp cameras for less money but none can slip into a pocket as easily. And you can snap off about 1 pic a second until your memory card is full (provided you don't need a flash and you turn off the image review). I don't think any other camera in its class can do that.

Based on reviews/user-reviews, I think the Kyocera SL300R (and the Contax equivalent), could give it a run for its money in terms of performance. (It's not without its problems though, I gather, but still tempted me, although I think I am waiting for the W1/W12 - sacrificing some portability/performance for quality).
Montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 7:49 PM   #5

Hi All,

I would like to bring for discussion twopossible solutions for the T1 weak performance in dim light. They both are homemade-type, but still since many of us already have a T1, why just keep admitting obvious.

1. NO TRIPOD. Well, look what I've done: I took a tiny tripod 8" high (mine is from Cullmann for $25, but there are few on the market, one is from Sony itself for $20). They all have 1/4" male thread, right?Then I made a C-shape bracket out of PVC structural H-shape material with some 1/2" grooves on the inside opposite sides of the C.Look at your T1 and see that on the sides it's corners are rounded. This will keep the camera from sliding out of the C when you rotate your tripod sideways or parallel to the ground for macro shots. Then I drilled a hole in the middle of the C on the outside to fit any nut with 1/4" female thread in it, and glued one in the hole. Here comes your connection with the tripod. Done. 2-hour work plus 30-40 bucks and you'll have your T1 mounted on a tipod. If interested, but not it is not clear, I canmake a skatch later.

Variations: Of course, you can use thet C bracket with any tripods, as they all have 1/4" male thread. You are also not limited to the materials, see in your garage and you'll find something handy. I chose a PVC H-shape, but you can use any other, or bend it out of a piece of aluminum, stainless, est. I chose PVC besause it does not scratch, easyto bend and glue.

MyT1 snaps tightly right into it.Any exposition is now not a problem, as well asperfect positionof the camera in macro mode.

2. Weak flash. If you buy a slave flash with activation sensor (no cables or hot-shoe connections), you'll sovle that problem PLUS you'll have two light sourses, one of which can be moved 5 feet from your lens or more! Much softer shades and better details. Get one from Sony, like HVL-SFL1 for $99. Probably, there are better choices too.

Please enroll in this discussion, your opinion is highly appreciated. Also, please share your experience with manual settings on T1 (not many but still) or white color adjustment.

Best shots,

Gary

kartinka is offline   Reply With Quote