Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 3, 2002, 2:44 PM   #1

Default 707 the best prosumer camera...

My friend has the sony f707 and he tells me it's still the best prosumer camera to date. I tend to agree, for I've seen his prints from it, they are beautiful. The new f717 looks even better, however, there is NO way in hell I will ever, ever, ever get anything with that anemic, proprietary memory stick. Is compact flash not good enough for you, Mr. Sony? Well, your memory stick is not good enough for me, Mr. Sony.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2002, 6:47 AM   #2

Im definatly buying the f717 and dont mind at all using Sony Memory. Im already blowing a crapload of money for filter and enhancement lenses; why not just buy a few 128mb sticks.
ZoSo925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 6:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by nimos
Is compact flash not good enough for you, Mr. Sony? Well, your memory stick is not good enough for me, Mr. Sony.
Maybe they will come out with an adapter so the betamax tapes can be used in ......

Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:36 PM   #4

I assume you just don't like using memory sticks because they are different from smart media and compact flash. People used to have a good reason when memory sticks were a lot more expensive, but that's not an issue anymore.

By the way, I have 2 Sonys, a Nikon and a Toshiba, so therefore I have all three types of memory.
SilverCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:03 PM   #5

i can't speak for smartmedia but i can for cf.

ref camera type sony 707

currently your at the wall at 128mb maybe going to play catch up with the same soon. they've been promising it for awhile. i have seen 256mb.

cf is max 1gb at the moment in both solid state and spinning media options heading higher

on a 512mb shooting RAW i get approx 49 shots how much does a mem stick get? it doesnt matter. it seems thats not an option. it does do TIFF. that would be approx 33 shots on a 512 cf card and maybe 8-9 on a 128 mem stick

they are notoriously slow on the xfr though have gotten better

now their introducing a new card- the duo
thats nice.

[Edited on 9-6-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:07 AM   #6

it is the choice of enyone weather to produce it's own card or adapt the products to the excisting ones.

As per the latest reviw, SONY will release the new 512mb and 1GB MS by the end of this year. The 4GB MS is planned to release in the year 2004.

Althow my F707 makes a shot in .fpeg/fine in a range of 1,6 mb and 128mb/per MS as maximum avalable, is a little bit not enough. (unless carring up the laptop along)
CEBEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 4:59 PM   #7

Default the best....707..

Yes I tend to agree but how many Sony products are in your house right now? Does kobi like Sony::P
binddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 1:44 AM   #8

believe it or not, but I will list down the SONY products in my house:

- DVD player + receiver, MD player, VCR, TV (86cm), Pascal 5.1 sound system
(all above is managed by only ONE remote controll which is a grate benefit)

Two cameras P71 (for sale) and as mentioned F707. I am changing my Palm m515 to SONY CLIE

Have to state that SONY products that I use have outstanding quality in regards to the high-tech products.

Indeed I would prefer to purchase the vacuum cleaner made by LG or Samsung rather than BOSH or AEG.

Still, I'm not the fun of SONY, just trying to find the best deal for value/productive.

Good luck
CEBEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 6:15 PM   #9

Yes, sony makes great stuff, but why try to push that stooopid little memory stick on us? That's my only problem, THE STOOOPID LITTLE MEMORY STICK!. Imagine if every company had their own storage device... 129 different storage devices! Holy krap, let's have some reason and common sense here!
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 6:32 PM   #10

there working on it. introducing XD memory from fuji and olympus. yet oly was smart enough to put a cf slot on their e series cameras for the serious mem cards. so if sony is finally going to put out a 1gb card i can safely say cf cards are about to go up measureably. especially since full frame dslrs produce 9-40+MB files and are supporting fat32(more efficient file allocation table)for the cards.

as to producing their own form factor. in photography back then a little company called kodak came up with the 35mm film safety can. they persuaded a lot of companies to use this form factor. after that 35mm photography film became the defacto standard for 40+ years. and 35mm cameras flourished for the same. yeah sony can live in its on little world righ along with DAT(pro only) MD (who cared) Beta (damn they make pretty good VHS recorders now).
you have to understand that cf and sd/mm have the best chance because their allowed to develop as open standards. sony likes royalties.

look on the bottom of your video cam. there is a sticker that says faroudja labs. they are an american company that holds a few patents that increase the image quality of the video in the camera dramatically. no japanese company could by it outright and the needed it. they are literally forced to licence this tech to have the image quality and have to put that sticker on every cam produced. their a small R&D company collecting royalties.

http://www.faroudja.com/

[Edited on 10-5-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote