Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:48 AM   #1

Default Bought New Sony F717 need a little help

I would like to know what do I need to get for my new sony camera. I'm thinking a lens filter to protect the lens,extra battery,larger memory stick, & software to download pics etc. ? I would like to know what filter to get, what size and make memory stick, & if the software that comes with the camera is OK or is there something better to use ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
woody3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:06 PM   #2

Here's what I have for my F717:

2x Lexar 256 MB MS
1x Quantaray Mulit-Coated UV Filter
3x Sony NMF-50, NMF-30s

What I recommend? Well for the memory sticks, look online for in store deals. Try www.bensbargains.net to find these deals either online or in a physical store (like CompUSA). Since most of the JPEG images on the F717 are around 2 MBs, you might look at either 2x 256s or 1x 512. It depends on how much shooting you do. With 2x 256s, I can shoot around 256 pictures on the 512 MB. That's quite a bit. And with your 32 MB that came with it you can shoot around 268 pictures total. If you do more shooting that that, look at a two 512s or a GB stick. Memory Stick PRO, in my opinion isn't worth the extra dough. Try not to buy the original Sony brand either...they're more expensive. Lexar and SanDisk make perfectly fine ones.

As for filters, just try Quantaray, Tiffen, or Hoya. Don't get a Hoya Skylight filter however, they give a pink cast to your pictures. Any of these companies make great filters. UV filters are fine for protection of the lens. I have seen no change in my image quality after putting on the UV filter. I spent 18.95 on my Quantaray Multi-Coated. If you feel you'll need it, you might look at a Polarizer.

Since many companies are making proprietary batteries for thier cameras they aren't cheap. I'd also look at Ben's Bargains to see if they have any details. I believe the NMF-50 delievers a little more juice. Look around online though, sometimes you can find they quite cheap. If you're willing to risk your money on electronics--look at eBay.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2004, 12:23 AM   #3

I have been very happy with my choice of the DSC F717 almost a year ago. I always have my spare battery charged and ready but I shot outside a lot here in Florida.The battery life is very good! It is one of the great features of this camera. The Quick charge is nice but not necessary. As far as memory goes the 256's are more affordable than the 512. You can buy 2 -256's for less than a 512. I have one 512 and it is really nice to have though. A memory stick case is a must to protect them.

I just purchased the Sony VLC-HGD1758 tele-photo lens and have been thrilled with the results. It is a 1.7x magnification.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...36650150BGCsKA

A USB card reader is nice but beware all will not read Memory Stick Pro. I have a SanDisk that works well. If your computer has Windows XP you may not need anything other than editing software.

Have a great time taking pics! You have chosen nice equipment.

Trique Daddi

Sony DSC F717
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 6:07 PM   #4

Thanks to Checksix & Trique Daddi I appreciate the info, I havejust bought the Lexar 256 memory stick & the Quantaray UV filter. If anyone has any ideas on a good soft case for the F717 I would also appreciate that too. Thanks!
Old May 3, 2004, 4:06 PM   #5

Lowepro makes excellent cases. They make soft backpacks, holster cases, but I believe Sony is the only one that makes a form fitting case for the F717 which is leather--and 59.99USD, a little expensive and not enough features (i.e. pockets) for me. Just go to Google and type in "Camera Holster Cases" if that is the type of case you want. It's small, can fit in any bag essentially, and it sometimes has pockets for batteries and memory. They also clip onto your belt, so you don't need to lug a backpack around. Lowepro's are water resistant.
Old May 4, 2004, 9:15 PM   #6

Checksix, Thanks again for the info the Lowepro sounds good to me.
Old May 5, 2004, 8:21 AM   #7

You will love the F717. Besides the other recommendations, you may want to consider purchasing a lens hood. A lens hood reduces the amount of stray light that can enter the lens. It may be the one accessory that can really improve image quality.

The organization of the camera's instruction manual will make good sense once you start using the camera - "digital film cost" is cheap, hence shot more images and experiment more.

Good Luck,

rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 4:20 PM   #8

About the lens hood...

I wouldn't spend the money on the $59.99USD Sony Petal Hood. Quantaray has a smashable, foldable, moldable, flexible, rubber lens hood. Its nice since you can fold it up when not in use, so it doesn't add 4 inches to the length of the camera. Its only like 6 bucks to at any Ritz camera or any of their sister stores (Wolf, Kits, etc.) That is the best way to go in my opinion. Sure the petal lens hood looks cooler, but its a rip off. It screws onto any UV filter.

My only complaint is when taking up close pictures with the lens hood extended and the flash on. You will get a shadow of the lens hood in the bottom of the picture. But just retracting it makes it go away.

Go to http://www.kitscamera.com and type in 58mm lens hood in the search box. It shouldbe the first on the list.

Old May 5, 2004, 5:59 PM   #9

Thanks again Rod & Checksix for the great info. I will check out the link for the lens hood. I also have 3 different models of soft cases from Lowepro to choose from . Edit 120 , Rezo TLZ 20 , & the D-Res 240 AW. It looks like the D-Res 240 aw is larger than the other two, and also has a weather proof top flap. Any ideas anyone as to which model here might be the best one for fit etc.? I'm kind of leaning towards the Rezo TLZ 20 only because its smaller. But I do like the feature of the D-Res 240 aw that it has the weather proof top. Thanks!
Old May 6, 2004, 8:07 PM   #10

See if you can go to Best Buy or something. I tried two of the Lowepro holster cases they had. I can't remember which models though. One was too small, the other I believe allowed the F717 to fit in but since the body of the F717 is not normal, it slid down a little. Try them out if you can, or just get the internal measurements and see if it will fit.