Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 3, 2004, 4:54 PM   #1

Hi,

I cant decide between the Sony P100 or W1??

Does anyone know if theres any difference between the Sony P100 and W1 apart from the design of the body??

What design do you guys prefer, the design of the P100 or W1? I think I slightly prefer the design of the W1

Anyone got any opinions-please discuss??

Manythanks,

tommusrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2004, 8:30 PM   #2

I've downloaded both manuals from Sony Canada, and they do, indeed, seem to be the same, except for that body design. Personally, I find the 2.5" screen of the W1 very appealing. In Canada, the W1 is $50 more, which is a difference there; but in the U.S. Sony shows the same price - $399.99.

Old Rooster
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 2:01 AM   #3

even i like the W1 shape , n the lcd display.

the other diff tht i saw was of the scene modes , the p100 had more seen modes

aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 9:57 AM   #4

From what I can gether, the P100 flashhas only a 5' range (same as T1, whereas the W1 has a more sensible 12' range. This makes a big deal for me as a lot of my pictures will be indoors. Therefore, I've just ordered my W1 from Amazon . Also - that screen is amazing!
gizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5

For the record, re: the flash range, the P100 manual shows 3.5 meters, while the W1 manual shows 3.8 meters - very close, and both given at wide angle.

Old Rooster
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 10:44 AM   #6

I also try to dnwload user's manuals on canadian sony website but I have a problem : if someone can send me these documents to [email protected], it would be great !!

besides, I also notice that p100 and w1 are very similar products., the LCD width constituing one of the most significant difference.

nevertheless, after having downloaded many photos from steve's review and compared them, I have looked some little differences between these 2 cameras :

I sometimes prefer the W1, and sometimes the p100 : it depends on each picture...

Ihaven't any piece of explanation for these differences : it may simply be a question of settings...I don't know...

Anyway, I would have been ready to buy a canon ixus430 (the best compact/quality compromise I think, because image quality is too bad with the pentax optio s4i...), but these new p100 and w1 change my opinion : Im' waiting to "touch" them in shops in order to choose the best one (I think that size, appearance, design will be definitive points for my choice, because it's too difficult to choose between these 2cameras only on technical aspects...)

PS: sorry for my poor english, but it isnt' my best language !

el_boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 1:03 PM   #7

I only know what I've seen on the internet but isn't another difference theavailability of the use of the Cyber-shotstation for the P100? I'm also trying to decide which I would prefer and I'm wondering if this docking station is very useful or beneficial. I do intend to view a lot of pics on my TV. I guess this charges the battery as well and has a remote control. I don't think it is compatible with the W1. Anyone else know?

Boog
boogvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 9:11 AM   #8

The W1 got more manuall settings than the P100, something i like.

But i would have been even happier if the W1 had 9 scenes as the P100 has and not only 6. Seems like the W1 is missing a fast shutter speed scene or a action scene if you like.

But i would choose P100 or W1 over the Canon 430 or 500 any day.
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote