Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 13, 2004, 2:58 AM   #1

I am fixing to buy some memory for my f828. Is there any difference between type 1 and type 2 compact flast besides write speeds. Can anyone tellme how much of a difference the write speeds are? Buying the memory sticks seems like a poor choice because they are alot more expensive......and if I wanna buy a camera of a different brand.....im stuck with memory sticks. What about the microdrives.......any thoughts on those? Insight would be much appreciated.
Josh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 11:22 AM   #2

I use a 512 meg Sandisk Ultra II Compact Flash and just some plain old 128 memory sticks from my F707. Haven't seen much difference between them. The CF is rated at 9 mbs (60x)write and it is pretty fast, but I can knock off some quick shots with just a 128 memory stick rated at 1.5 mbs. Will probably put a 512 meg Memory Stick Pro for a 1 Gig total, but even a couple of 256 cards can be had for under $90 each and even cheaper. For everyday shooting the mem stick is just fine. Image quality is not affected by either of the media formats.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 11:22 AM   #3

Sony is introducing a new purple mem stick this summer that will take the speed crown. Might want to hold off on any major purchases until you see what they have to offer.
Old May 13, 2004, 11:50 AM   #4

I discovered that the 8 meg image in standard mode is a tad smaller than the 5 meg image in fine mode. The 8 meg gives you more pixels to work with and allows for a sharper image. So storage for either on any card will be about the same in file size. You might want toconsider your shooting preferences in determining your initial card size. The old adage of putting your eggs in one basket really applies to image storage, i.e., two 256 sticks may be cheaper than one 512 in some cases or two 512s (CF/MS)cheaper than a Microdrive, which writes at about 4.5 mbs (My type I writes faster.). Put a 512 MS Proin and back it up with a 256 CF, which can be had for around $40.
Old May 13, 2004, 2:12 PM   #5
Zal

I have a 1GB Microdrive in my 828--write speeds are blazingly fast. Microdrives are not quite as fast as Memory Stick Pro or some of the newer "Ultra II"(i.e. Ultra-Expensive) CF cards, but Microdrives are MUCH faster than the standard CF cards and Memory Sticks.

I paid $170 for my 1GB microdrive--in my opinion, they represent the best combination of price/performace/storage available. Your milage may vary.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote