Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 13, 2004, 7:23 PM   #1

Hi All,

I would like to bring for discussion twopossible solutions for the T1 weak performance in dim light. They both are homemade-type, but still since many of us already have a T1,I see no more reasonkeep on admitting the obvious.

1. NO TRIPOD. Well, look what I've done: I took a tiny tripod 8" high (mine is from Cullmann for $25, but there are few on the market, one is from Sony itself for $20). They all have 1/4" male thread, right?Then I made a C-shape bracket out of PVC structural H-shape material with some 1/2" grooves on the inside opposite sides of the C.Look at your T1 and see that on the sides it's corners are rounded. This will keep the camera from sliding out of the C when you rotate your camera in the tripod sideways or parallel to the ground (for macro- shots). Then I drilled a hole in the middle of the C on the outside to fit any nut with 1/4" female thread in it, and glued one in the hole. Here comes your connection with the tripod. Done in 2 hours plus 30-40 bucks. If interested, but not it is not clear, I canmake a sketch later.

Variations: Of course, you can use the C bracket with any tripods, as they all have 1/4" male thread. You are also not limited to the materials, see in your garage and you'll find something handy. I chose a PVC H-shape, but you can use any other, or bend it out of a piece of aluminum, stainless, est. I chose PVC because it does not scratch, easyto bend and glue.

MyT1 snaps tightly right into it.Any exposition is now not a problem, as well asperfect positionof the camera in macro mode.

2. WEAK FLASH. If you buy a slave flash with activation sensor (neither cables, nor hot-shoe connections), you'll sovle that problem PLUS you'll have two light sourses, one of which can be moved up 5 feet from your lens or even more (info from a Sny tech support)! Much softer shades and better details. Get one from Sony, like HVL-SFL1 for $99. Probably, there are better choices too. Just ordered HVL-FSL1 from BestBuy, I'll see how it will work out. BTW, the flash has a mounting bracket, it should fit all right between the tripod and the C-bracket. Rated at 18 ft (f2.8) max.

Please share your thoughts, your opinion is highly appreciated. Also, if you have any experience with manual settings on T1 (not many but still) or white color adjustment, or the difference between Auto mode vs. Program? Also, I've heard that you can play arounfd with the Exposure settings +/- EV, like reducing it from 0 to -0.3 to prevent overexposure in bright daylight?

Best shots,

Gary
kartinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2004, 12:12 AM   #2

Hi Kartinka,

I have a T1 and I like your suggetions. I like the idea of the slave flash. I'm definately interested in that. Sony Japan ofers this trypod case for the T1.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer...SC-T1/acc.html

Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 3:11 AM   #3

Hi,

Well, it works... but not all the way. For some reason (probably weak signal from my T1) the slave senses it and flashes back not always. I have not had enough practice yet to make some recommendations, but what is obvious:
-when the slave does off, you have great photos in total darkness, up to 20 ft easy. Of course, you need to switch to Program and do some tricks (ISO100, EV down to -0.3 or -0.7, etc.) to avoid noise reduction activation, grain, overexposure. Forget AUTO, the camera does not know that you gonna help with a slave;
- for some inexplicable reason the slave activates almost all the time when you place it not in line with the camera, but 1-2 inches BEHIND it. No idea why, it should be all the way around. I'll play more.

Old May 27, 2004, 6:31 PM   #4

Hi,

Did you get the Sony slave flash HVLFSL1B?
Old May 27, 2004, 9:29 PM   #5

Pathfinder,

I've got -A model. The difference, as I was told by a Sony rep, is just in color. A is silver (exactly the color of US-sold T1s'); B is gold (?).

How and where I can buy the case/tripod adapter you sent the link for? I could not find any in the USA, and the Sony.jp site does not convert to English. Is there any sites in English? I would get one immediately. The bracket I made is more bulky than this one. Plus it is case/tripod adapter in one. Please advise.

Best regards.
Old May 27, 2004, 10:16 PM   #6

Kartinka,

I don't think that we can buy from that site. I got my black T1 which was only available in Japan through an American company called Dynamism. They sell only items that are only available in Japan. They are great to deal with. Call the number on their web site and you get to talk to a real and friendly person.

The web site is at www.dynamism.com

On the Sony web site the prices for the A and the B are different in the specs for the distance and the price. They don't mention color.

You should call Sony and ask about the slave not always going off.

regards
Old May 27, 2004, 10:19 PM   #7

Kartinka,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I just went to their site and saw the new T11.
Old May 30, 2004, 10:13 AM   #8

Kartinka,

Really interested in this as I've ordered a Sony slave flash like yours for my Sony P12. Hope to get it in a few days. I'll compare my experiences.

I did hope it would just be a case of fitting it on and letting it all work on auto.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote