Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 15, 2004, 6:50 PM   #1

I just picked up a DSC-U30 from Circuit City for $145 after price matching. I seen it on sears.com on sale for $150, and the local sears had it in stock. So I ended up saving $55 on this little camera.

So far I like it. The size is great, fits any where and doesnt get in the way. I can leave it in the center console of my car, and always have it with me. Its start up time is very quick, just a couple seconds. The quality of the pictures is impressive when you consider the size and price of the camera. Its no where near the quality of my Olympus C-2100uz, but they are two completly different cameras.

Great to have with for those odd moments where you say to your self "I wish I had a camera!" With this one around, you just might have it handy enough to get that picture

Here is a quick shot I took of a small toy truck, its 1/32 scale. It was in macro mode, a little to close as it turned out, you can see some blur on the front of the truck.

MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2004, 9:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Great to have with for those odd moments where you say to your self "I wish I had a camera!" With this one around, you just might have it handy enough to get that picture
I couldn't agree more. I've had my U20 for almost a year and a half; I have it with me almost all of the time--great for candid shots. You don't have to look like a photo geek when shooting candids. I find that you can pretty much just point the camera in the general direction of the subject and shoot (assuming good lighting conditions). I find that I can 'shoot from the hip' without too much concern about careful framing since the wide angle lens has good angle coverage and humongous depth of field.

Bottom line: a fun toy.

I use an A1 for more serious stuff.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 6:22 PM   #3

:-)I also picked up a DSC-U30 on ebay for $140 from a guy that bid on two of them andwon them both. He only wanted one (ebay warns you of this). Anyway I rec'd it in factory unopend box. I also keep it in a compartment in the dash of my car...just in case. As far as I can tell it takes nice pics for what it is. I have a F-828 too, but not one to keep in car. The little memory stick that came with it is full and will go out and get it from car and print some pics (4X6)and see how they turn out . If the results are good I may slip one of my 256 pro sticks in it.....lol, I wonder how many pics they will hold in the U30 ?. I bought a 4GB micro drive (Hitachi) for the F828 and it works great ! , but keep a 256 pro in it also. :lol:
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 7:03 PM   #4

I just printed some 4X6 photos from the U30 and I'll have to say I'm impressed for a little 2.0 MP camera. I have a Cannon i950 printer and they really turned out great. I don't think I would want to go much more than 4X6 or 5X7 prints though. Very happy with this little camera...
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 7:34 PM   #5

The funny thing is that when I went to pricematch it at Circuit city, they told me it didn't take that great of a picture for $150. This was after I gave them the printed sheet from sears to show them the price difference, and they didn't seem to happy about it. I didn't feel that I needed to tell them that I had already researched the camera and I seen some good sample images taken with it.

I also ended up getting a 64mb card for it. And considering that they are over half the file size of my Olympus 2100 camera, I can put alot of pictures on this card.

I haven't tried printing with it yet, but from the shots I have taken so far I am sure they will look just fine :-)
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote