Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 16, 2004, 2:09 PM   #1

Well, I just got back from a trip to thesouthwesternUSA with my T1 which I bought based on the review on this site. I took over 200 pictures and some video clips.

Full daylight pics are OK, but still a little blurry. Indoor pics are impossible. I mean, completely impossible. My wife tried to get a picture inside the main hall of the Venetian hotel in Las Vegas (you know, with the 50' mural painted ceilings) and though there was plenty of light it came out like a subterranean cavern. And any picture at night --forget it. Weak flash, and when you do get light on the subject it better not be a person or they look like they're demonically possessed (i.e., terrible red eye).

The camera looks cool, but the main function is taking pictures and this camera doesn't cut it. My three year old PowerShot G1 is a much better camera than this. Not as portable, for sure, but a MUCH better picture taking device.

My view of this camera is that it is a highly portable but TERRIBLE camera. How come Steve's review is so favorable?

I feel like Sony should have put on the box, in big letters: WARNING! This device is not intended for taking any pictures indoors or outdoors between dusk and dawn.

But then how many would they sell?
jdifonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 5:15 PM   #2

I have a T-1 and have much the same experience as you do. The T-1 clearly has only one selling feature and that is it's size. If you want a camera to hide in your pocket almost unnoticed, it's fine. It's flash is rated out to only 5', as opposed to 11'-13' for most point and shoots.

I added a Nikon D70 to my collection and will probably add a Canon G5 (or G6 if they release one soon). A camera for each shooting circumstance seems to work best for me.

Unless you need the extremely pocketablility, almost any point and shoot (of decent pixel count) will do a better job.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 5:35 PM   #3
Administrator

jdifonzo wrote:
Quote:
My view of this camera is that it is a highly portable but TERRIBLE camera. How come Steve's review is so favorable?

I feel like Sony should have put on the box, in big letters: WARNING! This device is not intended for taking any pictures indoors or outdoors between dusk and dawn.

But then how many would they sell?
I think if you re-read the T1 conclusion you'll see that we weren't all that favorable, especially about indoor photos -- we said:

Because of the limited flash range (5 feet) and 38mm wide angle focal length, you'll
realize the best indoor results when shooting portraits of individuals and couples.
Capturing a well-exposed flash image of even a moderately-sized room is beyond the
T1's capability. Although a red eye reduction mode of flash operation is provided, the
close proximity of the lens and flash on the camera body resulted in red eyes in nearlyevery flash image.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 5:48 PM   #4

I looked at the review after seeing this post earlier today. And I read in the final conclustion what steve had just posted. It is not ideal indoors, and it has a problem with redeye when using the flash.

For small compact cameras that fit in the pocket, I just picked up a dsc-u30. I am very pleased with it. It has noise in low light conditions, but even with that I am still amazed with the image quality when I consider the cameras size and the price.
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 1:16 AM   #5

Steve, thanks for replying, I appreciate that. Looking back at Steve's wrap-up, it said:

If you're in need of a super-compact digicam that captures high resolution images, the SONY CyberShot T1 could be just the ticket. With a 5-megapixel imager, excellent image quality, small size, light weight and good-looks, the T1 would make an excellent camera for recording your vacation travels. It is less successful at capturing family events because of its limited flash range and consistent red eye when using the flash.
I guess that I could only agree with this if "less successful" means "useless". I question the "excellent image quality" remark above as well, since even in full Arizona daylight outdoor pictures were less sharp than I expected.

I am not a digicam expert, but it seems to me that there is a correlation between the diameter of the lens and the amount of light required to get a decent shot. Case in point, my old G1 has a much larger lens and takes many indoor shots just fine with no flash at all if there is almost any ambient light. So the review picked on the flash weakness, but I think the more serious problem is with the small lens -- and maybe the CCD? I wonder, do those little MinoltaDiMAGE cameras have the same problem with indoor shots? Maybe this is an issue for all small lens cameras?

But the thing that strikes me is this: A camera this small is something perfect for family events. If you are going to go shoot the Grand Canyon, it's more likely (to me) that you're going tobe OK withan 'SLR-style' camera since you are going to take serious shots, not 'snapshots'. So what was the design point Sony was shooting for with this camera? (No pun intended.)

It just seemed to me that a camera at this price point, to be recommended at all, should take at least adequate pictures in ALL normal shooting conditions. This camera takes adequate pictures ONLY outdoors in daylight. Now I am going to have to keep my G1 around as well as the DSC-T1 because I need something to use indoors. For 500 to 900 dollars (once you throw in some memory sticks) this seems totally unacceptable, and so I expected that the review would have totally trashed this camera.

I learned a lesson... opinions vary, so always try before you buy.
jdifonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 9:21 PM   #6

I played around with my friend's T1 and yes, indoor photos are horrible. Yellowish and dark. The owner also agreed and said only outdoor photos are acceptable.

Having owned a P1, P5, and P9, all of these were much, much better than this T1.

I'm looking forward to trying the W1 !!
sonyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the honesty, guys! Ironically, my DSC-T1 is arriving today.:O I'm glad that i made the decision to keep my G2.

Question: Would i need a 2nd battery or is 1 enough?
coolatta75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:12 AM   #8

jdifonzo wrote:
Quote:
Full daylight pics are OK, but still a little blurry. Indoor pics are impossible. I mean, completely impossible. My wife tried to get a picture inside the main hall of the Venetian hotel in Las Vegas (you know, with the 50' mural painted ceilings) and though there was plenty of light it came out like a subterranean cavern. And any picture at night --forget it. Weak flash, and when you do get light on the subject it better not be a person or they look like they're demonically possessed (i.e., terrible red eye).

One thing to remember is thatany camera held from arms length away when shooting produces blurry pictures, that's just because people use LCD's to compose their pics. I think it's just that, because my girlfriend has that camera and she has been complaining the same thing but when I'm using it pictures turn out to be just fine (well, they're not blurry at least). I've been trying to teach her how she can support her elbows on her sides and such so there can be progress soon!

T1's lens is little on the slower side so I bet your problem is just that (and in indoorshots are you sure there was enough light?).And thats true, you can forget about taking photos at night time with any camera without tripod (and T1 doesn't even have the possibility to mount one).

The red eye is terrible, flash is weak and the lens is a bit slow, but other than that it's a nice little camera, not worth the money but hey, it's NICE!
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote