Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 23, 2004, 4:42 PM   #1

:!:Iam interested in buying a dsc-p10, but I would like to know which the difference
in relation to dsc-p100. Which would the best be???
I am from Brazil and I am using a text translator.
excuse the mistakes...
thank you!!!
vasahiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2004, 9:01 AM   #2

Hello,

I would have waited for the P100.

My reasons for saying so:

The P100 camera is smaller, the battery capasity has been improved, it got a bigger LCD screen and has become faster.

Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 2:49 AM   #3

For normal high quality point and shoot images these cameras will be very similar. I decided not to wait for the P100 and other new Sony models, buying a P10 (well P12 outfit actually) recently.

In my decision one thing was important. The P10/P12 is now the "old" model and discounted in the UK. The money saved over the P100/P120 paid (virtually)for an extra InfiLithium battery, stand-alone charger and slave flash.

These extras help sort all the issues I have with these cameras... I dislike the poor battery cost/life, in-camera charging andweak flash output.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:32 AM   #4

Cybeshot,

I think you chose the courseI woukd have chosen. The P10 is a proven camera that produces excellent results. With all the problems reported by the people who buy the F828 with the purple fringing, emerald highlights in bright areas,and the noise, I feel the older F717 is actually the superior camera. Newer is not always better or reliable. This seems to be particularly true with Sony's new HC line of camcorders. If you read camcorderinfo.com. the HC85 is having some pretty severe quality control problems with one user returning five duds in arow to a Circtuit City in Detroit. With a new camera, I feel you are wise to wait a a few months before purchasing to let the manufacturer get any bugs out of the production line.

Just my two cents.... Your take may vary. :-)

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:03 AM   #5

:sadoes anyone out there have ANY idea where I can purchase a P10, P12 or P100 without paying $600 Canadian or thereabouts for it? Can you get that UK price and get it shipped to Canada?

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated. I really want one of these cameras but they're just so darn pricey!!

Thanks

Brenda
bjdobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:55 AM   #6

Hi I have had both cameras. I bought the DSC-P10 in Feb 04 used for a week returned due to faulty flash picked up another DSC-P10 used for a few more days and returned back to store.

Reason for returning camera indoor shots were not consistant sometimes under exposed. Tried differant settings you could take 2 shots of the same thing and both shots would come out completly differant.Outdoor shots were spot on.

Bought DSC-P120 June 04 tried in differant light levels pictures come out perfect no problems at all definatly recommend it.

Assad
assad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 4:30 AM   #7

assad,

That's interesting, not something I've noticed in the type of indoor shots I take. However I was aware with the P10, in common with the P100/W1 and many of the compacts that the flash output is really too low for decent images of anything more than a group of2/3 people at about 2.5m range. My biggest issue with this was the high noise levels in the part of the image not well lit by the flash. I think the P100 has extra processing to mostlyresolve this?

As part of the P10 purchase I planned to get the Sony slave flash (HVL-FSL1A). I did buy this and the difference it made to shots of larger subjects was amazing. Sadly the supplier sent the wrong one and there was a problem fitting it to my older spareP52 (it was listed as being suitable for both cameras). I had to return it after a few test shots.

I'm still looking about for a good value neatslave flash that will fit them both as the flash images were more like my SLR days with the big separate flashgun.

As a matter of interest I've just taken 5 shots with the P10 (using camera flash, all settings auto)of a bookcase full of books at 2m range.All the shots areidentical. Like you I'd have taken mine back if it had been that erratic on the flash exposure.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 6:33 PM   #8

Hi David

I set the DSC-P 10 to high flash becauseI found the flash to be weak anyway but the exposure was not constant. I tried evalution metering and centre did not always help, dependent on shot also tried auto w. balance and flash w. balance.

Picture quality was very good but exposure was hit and miss.

WhatI have found with the DSC-C 120 is that there seems to be a lot more play on the lens barrel when it is extended. Which is dissapointing as it is a Carl Zeiss lens quality how ever is very good.

Thanks

Assad
assad is offline   Reply With Quote