Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 25, 2004, 11:23 PM   #1

My first digicam (and still using) was a Sony DSC-P71 and simply loved it to death. Recently I bought a new Canon S400 after looking at much reviews (and during that time, Sony didnt have any cameras of the same range), I am very much disappointed with the Canon camera. First of all, Im very used to Sony's very fast point and shoot mode, and the pics come out great! Transfer from camera to PC using the USB was simply fast as compared to Canon, i have to wait for quite some time before I can access the CF card to transfer the pics. Transfer rate is also very slow.

Now im considering Sony DSC W1 and Canon S500 (as I already have a underwater casing for Canon S400),important features for me is that I want a fast point and shoot camera like my Sony DSC-P71.

For Canon, to get great pics, I have to use the Manual Mode which is really a hassle and if I use Auto mode, the pics turn out not as what I want and I have to go through the hassle of using Photoshop to edit it. When using Auto Mode with its flash function, the pics will turn out so bright, if changed to Manual Mode and swtching btw different ISO, its too slow.

So now my question is, would Sony DSC W1 perform somewhat like my old Sony DSC-p71 cam in terms of speed (point & shoot in seconds). If Canon S500 is like S400, then I will not be considering it. Please help!

skinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2004, 11:34 PM   #2

the best way to find out....is to take a trip to a camera store nearby....

they'll have display models that you can pickup take a couple shots, before you make your decision....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 11:54 PM   #3

I believe you will find the S500 to have little difference to the S400 - only higher MP count and direct print/share button.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 1:47 AM   #4

The Sony DSC W1 is not out in the stores yet and not sure when it will be arriving too. As for Canon S500, if its somehow the same without much difference than S400, I guess I'll have to have a go at the SonyDSC W1.

Are there any Sony DSC W1 users out there who can help besides then going through the reviews of how good it is?

I read in some forums, the transfer speed is due to the camera and the USB version 1.1? used, which is why its slow to read the CF card. But if using a cardreader, its way much faster! But my Sony camera's reading and transfer speed is amazing!

skinergy is offline   Reply With Quote