Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:21 AM   #1
SEH

So this may be a little odd, but I am debating on whether to ebay my Canon S110 2mp and buy a V1 or W1. I love the S110's size and durability, but the shutter lag is terrible and I do not believe that it approaches 35 mm quality even in a 4x6. I find that with my 3 year old son, he is half-way out of the frame by the time the image is captured. So, now I am looking into a new digital camera. I am focusing on the V1 and W1 (leaning toward the V1 in the hopes of relying less on my Nikon N80 35 mm).

Can the owners of these tell me whether the shutter lag is an issue? Also, do you think I will see a significant increase in the picture quality?

Thanks in advance.
SEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2004, 2:02 AM   #2

I have an opinionon this from testing the VI with a view to buying, also testing the P93 which has very similar operation to the W1...and being very annoyed by any older camera I've used with slow responses.

The V1 wasgood in terms of operation/shutter lag but the P93 was much better, veryvery fast, it was the most noticeable thing about using it. Assuming the W1 is the same, and I'm sure it is, you'll find it excellent.

Both the V1 and W1 are going to give a huge improvement in image quality if you shoot at 5MP and enlarge images or view full-screen on the PC.

Funnily enough though I've often used my year old Sony 3.2MP set at 1.3MP or 2MP and the 6x4 prints have been SLR-like in quality. Its only with on-screen viewing and enlargements that my new 5MP camera shows realimprovement.

Bear in mind the V1 and W1 are aimed at quite different markets. The V1 has a host of manual options and is both larger and more complicated to operate. The W1 is a high quality point & shoot with very compact size and a huge LCD.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:56 PM   #3
SEH

Thanks David. I am thinking of setting aside my 35 mm, so would like something like the V1 to grow into, especially considering the relatively small price difference. Mostly, though, I snap pics of my family, and that is the reason why shutter lag is such an issue. I will add the p93 to the mix of candidates. Thanks
SEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 5:03 AM   #4

Have a look at this thread from a few days ago...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

Look in particular at my post from 2nd June 11.16am that gives my final choice and why.

If you really need the V1 options then it is a very nice camera with excellent quality results, for me the handling disadvantages actually got in the way of capturing images though.

An issue I keep seeing in a different light to others is thatafter testing 4 cameras I found the full manual/priority modes are not always the key to perfect images. Get a camera that is easy to carry, and hence always in your pocket, and that gives good results on Auto then youmay wellcome home with many more worthwhile images than a SLR 35mm film outfit.

I know I do.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote