Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 21, 2004, 5:00 PM   #11

People...more questions about w1?

Do you like picture quality of w1... in various situations..(especially sharpness)

This huge lcd- is it too grainy?

- is it too fragile (easy to damage)?

Lvky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:03 PM   #12

Lvky wrote:
Quote:
People...more questions about w1?

Do you like picture quality of w1... in various situations..(especially sharpness)

This huge lcd- is it too grainy?

- is it too fragile (easy to damage)?

The answers to these questions are highly subjective. My take is that the overall picture quality is good, and the pictures I have taken all look sharp. However, I do have one complaint: Occasionally the people ina picture shot in the auto modelook pale. Any suggestion on how to correct this problem is appreciated.

As for the LCD: Yes, when it's in the viewfinder mode, it looksgrainy. But it looks pretty sharp in the picture browsing mode. I don't know if the LCD on W1 is more fragile than others, but it's a fact that the larger the LCD the more likely it can get damaged.
datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 3:43 PM   #13

Datoda: about USB 1.1 to 2.0

Yes, I did. I've got same problem with USB 1.1 on my ancient computer. Problem was solved by using PCI-to-2xUSB 2.0 ports card, that is simple and inexpensive PCI card to insert into any PCI slot on motherboard of PC and you'll have 2 USB-2 ports. Itstopped fraying my nerves :roll:

P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm from St Petersburg, Russia

Good luck!

Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 3:56 PM   #14

Hmm, I haven't got my w1...but now i'm wonderingthis "issue" of big LCD.

W1- 2,5''..... 123 000 PIX.

I Think this is a same relaton :

-like 1,5'' lcd- (aprox. 2.7 x smaller than w1) has 46 000 pix.

-like ''normal'' 1.8''l cd (aprox. 2x smaller than w1) has 61 500 pix.

This sounds pretty awful to me..(if my mathematics is corect)
Lvky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:21 PM   #15

Pipkin wrote:
Quote:
Datoda: about USB 1.1 to 2.0

Yes, I did. I've got same problem with USB 1.1 on my ancient computer. Problem was solved by using PCI-to-2xUSB 2.0 ports card, that is simple and inexpensive PCI card to insert into any PCI slot on motherboard of PC and you'll have 2 USB-2 ports. Itstopped fraying my nerves :roll:

P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm from St Petersburg, Russia

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip!
datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:53 PM   #16

Not at all!

W1 is my 2nd camera (previous was Sony DSC-P71). And now I'm completely saticfied with my new camera. It gives me all the opportunities to makequite worthy shots. A very good issue from Sony.

But W1 is more sensitivefor hands trembling and shaking
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 4:00 AM   #17

Yes you do need a steady hand but if you have one or use a tripod this camera takes awesome pictures! You've got to see mine! Especially the night ones! Look: (oh yah and I'm not a pro so don't expect my pictures to be the best the W1 can do. It's pretty cool though!)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/f826b9b2.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...0/f826b65c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...3/f826c168.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/f826ac05.jpg

I am so impressed with this camera! I've tried all the top companies and this one is amazing! And of course, since it's a Sony, the sound on the movies is incredible and the movies are fantastic! Better than my Hi8 video camera.

Ooops, the image links didn't work, so I'll just upload one here:
Attached Images

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:23 PM   #18

I think that I'm going to buy this camera. At first I wanted to buy the DSC-T1 because of it's small size, but of what I can understand that camera takes reallycrappy pictures indoor.

I must admit that I'm laughing a bit because some of you write that the W1 is a small camera? I think it's allmost to big But only because I would like it to fit in my pocket.

Feel free to upload some more pictures in full resolution? I would really liketo see the pictures taken at night time! I love to take pictures at sunset/sunrise/night.

Or send them to me at [email protected] Remove NOSPAM
ledderlappan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:06 PM   #19

kski, very nice picture! I have a P100 and I'm considering exchanging it for the W1. There are two reasons for this:

1: I've noticed in all indoor flash shots, there is a very dark shadow on the left edge of all subjects. I'm guessing that this is shadow from the lens because of the placement of the flash.

2: When I take photos with people in the foreground, their skin tone and facial features are not clear, however the rest of the image is clear. This is my second P100. I thought maybe the first was defective.

Have you seen this problem (#2) with any of your people shots?

Do you live in Niagara Falls, Canada?

I live in Buffalo, New York, USA.

Dennis

lexluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:17 AM   #20

I picked up my W1 this morning. And I love it. What attracted me to buy this camera were:

large LCD screen, AA size battery, movie clips at 30fps and its small size.

I am planning to get a 1GB memory stick pro as I want to take some movie clips.

I went into http://www.tigerdirect.com web site, and found twobrand of 1GB memory stick pro. One is made by SanDisk andthe other by Lexar. They look the same, but the price difference is clsoe to $200. Can someone tell me will the chaper one by SanDisk work forthe W1.

Thanks
bluesky668 is offline   Reply With Quote