Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:46 AM   #31

Yah I when I was a teen I used to go to downtown Toronto a lot, now I'm into going to Niagara Falls. It's so cool in Niagara Falls because people from all over the world come there! And it's fun and there are a lot of great places to test out a camera. Lots of color, lights, and action! And it's safe. I guess since I live in T.O. I should be taking some pictures of Toronto. I might do that either this weekend or next. IT should be cool! Then I will post some here. Here's a photo I took with my P100, I took the same photo with my W1 and there was no difference. It turned out good both times:

Attached Images

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:11 AM   #32

Hi, Kski !

It's interesting - What regime didyou use for night shots?Either took pictures by camera's automatic mode or Night scene, or something else?

Which camera's better, on your opinion, P100 or W1?

Thanks.

Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:11 PM   #33

Overall, I found that the W1 is best out of the two. The only thing I found with the W1 is that it overexposed some shots at night and on bright sunny days, but that is no big deal because you can just use the Manual settings and then it's not overexposed at all! The W1 is clearer and sharper than the P100 I have found and I have more clear focused shots with the W1 than the P100. I took about 400 shots with the P100 and 400 shots with the W1 so far. I experimented with both in similar lighting and situations and the W1 is better overall in my opinion.

With the picture above I used the twilight mode setting on the P100. With the W1 I used the twilight mode but it just overexposed the street lights a tiny bit more, so I set the camera on manual: Infinity focus, f/5.6 and that's how I got that other night shot. That worked really well. But for daytime shots, with my P100 I never had such a clear, colorful picture such as the day one above showing Planet Hollywood. That was the picture that really made me want to keep the W1. When I show people it in full quality, they all tell me it looks like a postcard. That's pretty good for a camera that's not an SLR. I'm very happy with it.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:45 PM   #34

Thanx a lot!!

You should have your own web site to show us all your remarkable pictures! Shouldn't?

Let us watch beauty!

Good luck, kski!

Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:25 PM   #35

Thank You Pipkin! That is so sweet of you to say. :-)
Old Jul 1, 2004, 12:21 PM   #36

You're welcome, Kski! But we're waiting for your site!!

And your digital image experience sharing with usas well !! Why not?

[suB]Beg pardon formypoor English...
[/suB]
Old Jul 3, 2004, 9:38 PM   #37

I went to a Sony Style store in Boston and found several cameras on demo there, including W1 and P93. I was particularly interested in P93, knowing that it has similar spec as W1 but is $100 cheaper than W1. After playing with P93 a bit, I am glad to say that W1 is definitely a better camera and worth spending the extra $100 for.

Why IMHO W1 is better:

1. Larger LCD (2.5in vs 1.5in)

2. Faster startup, shotdown, and shot-to-shot time

3. Better build (metal buttons vs plastic buttons)

4. Livelier colors

datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 4:01 PM   #38

I am thinking about buying a tripod for my W1. I did a search on the net and saw a tripod for digital camera from Kodak (part number 8062135) to be a good buy.Does anyone know if that tripod would fitW1's hole? Orany suggestions on which tripod to buy? Thanks.
datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 5:15 PM   #39

Imho, all modern digital cameras have standart hole for tripod.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:05 PM   #40

I too got my W1,

bad: all the "doors" (covers) are flimsy, I mean, not adequate to the rest of the camera.
1.The memory cover, which is made of plastic, has also a rubber cover inside, such as the usb port cover. There is an opening in this rubber cover for the DC-in. So, you do not need to open the plastic cover to use the external AC adaptor.
But there is obviously also an opening prepared in this rubber for the A/V out - without the corresponding opening in the plastic cover.
2. I am also afraid that the USB-port cover will be damaged, if fequently used. I do it.
3. The battery cover does not fully close the body of the camera. One can see the light of the display through a slit, when it is closed.

When viewing pictures, there is always an additional option, which is totally useless: volume.

But these are the only shortcomings I have found so far.

edaweb is offline   Reply With Quote