Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:36 PM   #1

Iordered my W1 at bestbuy.com for $379.99 this morning and picked it up hours later at a local store.

FIrst impression:

1. It's a bit too small for my hands, which aren't particularly big.

2. It's difficult to open the battery cover.

3. The memory stick cover feels flimsy.

4. The LCD viewfinder is big, but it's grainy.

5. It's VERY responsive-- it starts up quickly, and the lag between pressing the shutter button and the picture being taken is much shorter than DSC P10.

6. The movie quality at 640/fine is excellent. However, recording in that mode would eat up your memory in no time (I have a 256MB MSPro, and it can hold only 2 minutes of movie in that mode).

7. It powers on 2 AA batteries. That's one of the major reasons that have me hooked.

So far, I am pretty happy with W1. I will give you guys an update when I get to play it more.

datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 9:07 PM   #2

Hereis my second impression of W1

1. I like the color of the pictures taken with this camera. It's so lively.

2. I can't quite tell the difference in picture quality between a picture taken with the "fine" setting and one with the "standard" setting.

3. The charger that comes with the camera takes 6 hours to charge 2 AA batteries. That's way longer than the Panasonic charger I already owned, which charges 2 AA batteries in less than 2 hours (usually in1 hour).

4. TheUSB port cover is flimsy. I am so afraid that Iwould damage it for frequent use. The same goes to the battery cover and the memory stick cover.

5. The multi-burst mode, which takes 16 pictures consecutively in a snap, is cool!

Now I am looking for a case for my W1. I don't care for Sony's case. If you know any good on-line places that sell good cases, please let me know. Thanks.

Off Topic:

I have a HP PSC 2410xi printer, which has a built-in memory stick reader. While transferring pictures taken by W1 from the memory stick to my PC using that reader, I noticed that the connection speed between my PC and the printer is in the range of USB1.1, as opposed to USB2.0, which the printer claims to support. My PCdoes support USB2.0-- I can connect my W1 to the PC at USB2.0 speed.Did any one run intosimilar problem and know how tofix it? Thanks.

Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:33 PM   #3

Hey, your're starting to scare me! We're all going to be running around with duct tape on our cameras!

This site: http://www.memorystick.com/en/support/faq.html
...has some information on memory speed. It'd be interesting to try the various flavors in a dedicated USB 2 device.

I saw a lot of camera cases at Best Buy when I was there. Maybe you can find one you like at: http://www.lowepro.com
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:05 AM   #4

Thanks for the links. They are very helpful.

Duct tape? That's a great suggestion too!

Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:56 PM   #5

I bought a camera bag for my W1 at Sears

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...=searchresults

I like the look and feel of this bag and the generous room (for a bag of its size, anyway) it provides for batteries and other accessories.

Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:14 PM   #6

Something about W1- movie mode-????? DCRP Review said- "The old 320x240, 16fps HQX is also avaliable" Is it true?????????? (because nobody else mention that).

..and..every single movie which i can find on reviews(30fps-640x480) is so bluryyyyy..Can You confirm this???
Lvky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:29 PM   #7

Lvky wrote:
Quote:
Something about W1- movie mode-????? DCRP Review said- "The old 320x240, 16fps HQX is also avaliable" Is it true?????????? (because nobody else mention that).
..and..every single movie which i can find on reviews(30fps-640x480) is so bluryyyyy..Can You confirm this???

The only movie modes supported are

1. 640 fine (640 X 480 @ 30fps)

2. 640 standard (640 X 480 @ 16fps)

3. 160 (160 X 112 @ 8fps)

The movies shot in "640 fine" look fine to me (both on PC and on TV). As a reference of what I consider fine:check outthis clip posted in the DCRP review on W1:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...w/MOV00065.MPG

By the way, I didn't see DCRP's review talking about W1 supporting HQX mode. Probably you read a different review?
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:44 PM   #8

Oyes, take my word..Jeff Keller-on DCRP.. mention..that 320x240.16fps movie mode..but on may 1..(i 've saved this page), but now i can see that he updated review (june 12)..and took out that lines.....OK.

more about movie mode..everybody says that movies areconstantly -in-out- with the focus, true or false? ( by the way i saw that " train movie" on www.dcresource.com, train looks OK, butthe grass and"litlle stones" are still blury to me)

Lvky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 2:27 AM   #9

Lvky wrote:
Quote:
Oyes, take my word..Jeff Keller-on DCRP.. mention..that 320x240.16fps movie mode..but on may 1..(i 've saved this page), but now i can see that he updated review (june 12)..and took out that lines.....OK.

more about movie mode..everybody says that movies areconstantly -in-out- with the focus, true or false? ( by the way i saw that " train movie" on http://www.dcresource.com, train looks OK, butthe grass and"litlle stones" are still blury to me)

Iam not aware of the in-out focusissue.

Given that W1 is a still camera, Imay not be as demanding as others in movie quality.After all, shooting movies is not whatit is intended for.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 4:30 PM   #10

I bought a crumpler Digits Sporty Guy 0.3 bag for my W1 and it fits like a glove. Very cool camera bag! Bought it from cravedweasel.com, but you might find it somewhere else.
fanchee is offline   Reply With Quote