Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 7, 2004, 4:33 PM   #1

I am considering purchasing a Sony digital camera. The Sony DSC-W1 and Sony DSC-V1 both look very good. Any recommendations or pointers to why it is worth the extra money for the Sony DSC-V1, or does the Sony DSC-W1 hold up very competitively in picture quality.
Greg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:31 PM   #2
SEH

Funny, I am doing the same comparison. Still can't decide because they both seem like good choices. What do you plan on using it for?
SEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:26 AM   #3

-> SEH

I am presently in High School. I plan on using the camera for general photography of myself and my friends throughout high school and though university (ie. I am looking for a a digital camera that will remain competitive in image quality for several years to come).

Both the V1 and the W1 have a large selection of manual overrides which are appealing to myself, I am presently using a Canon SLR 35mm.

Living in Canada the W1 is $169 cheaper, after taxes.Also, the W1 isa smallercamera with a largerLCDscreen. Therefore, I am trying to figure out what image quality is gained by spending more money and purchasing the V1.
Greg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:48 AM   #4

Guys,

The (not soeasily available) W1 is generating a huge amount of interest. You can see from other posts of mine that, when I was upgrading a couple of weeks ago, I thought hard about waiting for the W1 as it seemed so good.

I had the V1 on loan/test for a weekend so have a good load of shots from that on the PC. I also tested the P93 which I think is very similar to the W1 but with a different shape, smaller LCD and without the Zeiss lens.

To be honest I would not say the V1 and W1 would ever ideallysuit the same person. If you liked the ability to slip the W1 into a pocket for fast point and shoot results then the V1 would seem bulky, a bit slowand over-complicated to operate.

Bear in mind the V1 has the shorter life InfoLithium batteries and you would need to buy an extra one straight away so budget that in the price. Also I hate the way the V1 chargesits battery in the camera, for me a stand-alone charger is another essential extra cost.

However if you really needed all the fantastic manual/priority/program shift/etc options of the V1 then the near full auto of the W1 would be frustration. The W1 doesn't have much at all in the way of very advanced modes. It doesn't even have a Fast Shutter/Sports mode! For that you need the smaller but near identical P100.

For the uses mentioned they willall give excellent images, possibly the V1 will be a fraction better but I bet you'll have to look hard.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:37 PM   #5
SEH

David:

I have been reading some of your posts and am leaning towards the W1 for its ease of use. By and large, my shooting is going to be family shots so faster response, lower shutter lag will probably trump manual settings. If only the V1 had as small a shutter lag as the W1, the choice would be so much easier.

BTW - my wife nixed the p100 as being "too small." In fact, she is borderline on accepting the size of the W1. She actually prefers the feel of the V1.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 1:56 PM   #6

>>I have been reading some of your posts...

Yes I have been a little free with my opinions for the past few weeks. My excuse is that I gained loads of info from others when camera hunting....so I'm giving a bit back now!!

I think you understand my point about the V1. It will produce some seriously good images and all those modes would be so rewarding if you needed them. But using it for the weekend reminded me of my old SLR. It was too big for a pocket so had to be very obviously produced from a case when needed...and its facilities added an extra layer of operational decision that actually detracted from many photographic opportunities.

Haven't seen a P100 in the flesh yet, but I did think it looked even smaller and less easy to grip than the P12....and that is marginal for handling if your handsare large, do like the idea of a 1.8" LCD though.

I bet any of the 5MP Sony cameras would produce very rewarding images, from P93 upwards. The fun is in the choosing!

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:22 PM   #7

I have had the W-1 for a week now and already the LCD is damaged. The camera powers on, but the LCD shows no images. :sad:I am not sure how it happened. It doesn't come with a case, but I don't believe it was subject to any unusual circumstances. I tried to return it to the store I bought it from and they refused to take it back. Needless to say I am very disappointed about the durability of the camera and the fact that I may be out the $400+ including the cost of the memory stick.
snapshot1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:35 PM   #8

I have had the W-1 only for a short period of time and I am loving it. I am not sure what some of the folks are complaining about. It fits in my pocket, takes excellent pictures but folks need to understand how the camera works. Reading the manual does help, taking pictures in each enviroment(setting) to see the results. I think people think these are instamatics. Once you get the settings and results down, this is a wonderful point and shoot camera.

Buy what you like and will use, upgrade as time goes on.

My two bits, have a great day.

blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 5:13 PM   #9
SEH

So after much debate, I ultimately went with the V1, not because it is any "better" than that W1, but rather that it's differences suited me. I believe that either choice would have made me happy, but the V1 won based on it's size (my wife preferred the ergonomics) and its more advanced feature set.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:10 AM   #10

I am interested in this comparison too. I have used a friend's Olympus UZ 750 and enjoyed some of the manual features like aperture and shutter speed, as I used to have a Sony U20 which severly limited my possibilities (but was so convenient!).

I want to take more outdoor portraits with blurred backgrounds (i think that's low depth of field?). I was wondering if the V1 or W1 was better suited for that type of photography? or are their zooms insufficient and I should be using a Olympus Ultra Zoom? I want to take pictures like this:

http://irphotoschool.com/lessons/c74...740dofPort.php

I also want to take nice landscape photography (night, day, sunset, sunrise, etc.) on hills, beaches, etc. I worry that the W1 and V1 zooms may not be sufficient for framing purposes? Anyone have some portrait and/or landscape examples with the Sonys?

In the end, I want a camera that not only suits this type of photography, but also provides some sense of portability (which was a problem with the Olympus)

decisions decisions.....
wt888usa is offline   Reply With Quote