Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 8, 2004, 10:59 PM   #1

Any reviews/thoughts on the advisability/value in purchasing the Sony accessory kit (ACCCN3P) for their DSC-W1 camera. Are the supplied components worth it/needed and under what circumstances? How does the case work with the camera?
Superguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 3:17 AM   #2

Personally I can't se why you would ever want this kit. It's a fairly large case, AC adaptor, quick battery charger and two Sony AA rechargeables.

If you have a camera as small as the W1 I prefer a case that is a far more snug fit and in keeping with the "fit in a pocket" idea of the W1. There's a huge choice of aftermarket cases foraround$10(US).

The W1 already comes with a nice Sony charger and two Sony AA rechargeables. Given the fantastic batterylife of these cameraswith their own brand batteries you'll never really need a fast charger if you buy a second set andkeep both sets of batteries charged. So all you need is a second pair of Sony AAs at perhaps $8(US).

The mains adaptor is of little use too. They comment it is for downloading images. Well far better to use a memory stick reader connected to the PC than have the camera hooked up. In any case the camera battery life is so good as mentioned therewill beplenty of power left at the end of the day to download your images if you reallyhave to use the camera for this.

So far better to make your own kit up with a case of your choice, a pair of Sony AA rechargeables, USB memory stick reader and putany money left over from the $60(US) the Sony kit costs towards a larger memory stick....that is *the* first thing you'll want anyway.

Just my view!

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 8:36 PM   #3

David,

Could you please give me some pointers to those aftermarket cases? I am interested in getting one. Thanks.
datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 2:02 AM   #4

I was just guessing at the approximate $US case prices based on what we have here in the UK.

The point I was making is that digicam cases/pouches are available in.....

Leather, leather look, nylon, cordura, hard, soft, extra padded, close fit to camera, medium size to store cards/batteries, large to take extra flash, any colour you want, long strap, short strap, belt fit etc etc.

All these variations are available for something the size of the W1 from £5-£25 in the UK. When you take into account the different makes as well as types of case I bet there would be 30 or 40 to choose from.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote