Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:14 AM   #1

Hi everyone ,it s my first post here i m trying to decide between The P100 and the S4I, the Pentax is very small but the Picture qualityis very limited if not too noisy so i m tryng to find some plus and minus on each one , did anyone test the SONY P100 with the 640X480 VX Fine resolution? is it acceptable on full screen ?thanks for your help and if anyone has a link for a video that would be even better thanks
Rustyws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:26 AM   #2

Steve has a sample movie in the P100 sample pictures. It won't fill your screen unless you have the resolution set to 640 X 480. You can set the resolution to 640 X 480 and hit the F11 key to see them full screen. They might not look great, but they are several orders of magnitude better than the S4i movies.

I have a S4 and don't find the noise to be that bad.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:37 AM   #3

Hello Slipe , thanks for your reply yes i saw the video from the review but is it 640X480 in fine resolution 30 fps? because it seems like it s @ 15 fps but i m not sure if anyone can confirm this , the reason i say that it s the video is not very smooth like for an example the test for the Canon A75 thanks
Old Jun 13, 2004, 4:33 PM   #4

hi, i downloaded the 640x480 sample movie and when i check the movie features in quicktime it's indeed 30fps. cheers, mark
markalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:13 AM   #5

You have to be careful that the lack of smoothness isn't actually your PC.

I've been a fan of the highly praised Sony Cybershot range movie mode for a year now...first with a P52 and now a P10.

The movies always look and soundbrilliant on the camera LCD. In 640x480 they look pretty good on the TV. But played on my PC they are poor, it seems to jump frames and looks jerky.

I put this down to my PC having a video chip built in, not a proper video card.

My movies look good (LCD/TV) at 15fps so I bet the 30fps would be really good. Mind you with the way that would use up a largememory stick it would be better to buy a camcorder.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:45 PM   #6

My W1 supports [email protected] too. The movies created in this mode look decent on TV.

To playa movieon a PC, I'd suggest you transfer the clip to thePC's hard disk first. Playing it straight from the memory stickmay not give you the best possible result because the USB connect you have may be too slow fora smooth playback.

For another demo clip, see

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...w/MOV00065.MPG

datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:52 AM   #7

thank you all for that review and feedback and thats a kick ass video
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:09 PM   #8

I have the Sony P-10,

The mpeg video format that it records is indeed 30fps, but i think each frame is probably encoded twice, as it looks like 15fps. This is not a problem for filesize, because of the way that MPEG works, andprobably increases picture quality.

I have a very high-end spec pc, and the mpeg does sometimes look flicky from the camera, especially when used from the memorystick pro. This shudnt happen, as the mpeg is well in the limits of the 14Mbit/sec transfer speed.

I have analysed sample MPEG files, they seem to have been encoded using the Xing Mpeg standard. This is not the best encoding method. However, the picture quality is still decent. Video looks smooth when on tv, and the sound is good too. Any flickiness that i have observed mainly seems to come from not holding the camera still enough.

Thats the P-10 though, dont know if this helps.

JAmes

earth_wormjim is offline   Reply With Quote