Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:13 AM   #1

If nothing goes wrong, I will have my W1 in the beginning of the next week. I know that it can record (and preview) MPEG VX 640x480/30fps movies. But is it possible for the W1 to read MPEG-1 movies or other codecs? Cause Im think of coding a normal movie so that it would fit into a 256 mb memory stick. So I can watch the movie on the W1s 2.5" display. I know that it works with SonyEricsson's P900 Mobile Phone. The MPEG VX codec is much to uncompressed for storeing a whole movie (only 3 min. fits into 256 :roll

What do you think?
For3st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:33 PM   #2

I saved some random mpeg file (not sure if it's 1,2,3 or 4) ona memory stick formatted by W1, and inserted it in my W1. Alas, W1 didn't even recognize its existence.

It appears that each movie file recorded by W1 comes with a .THM file. Having no corresponding .THM file might be the reason that my mpeg file doesn't get recognized.

Let me know ifI miss something.I thinkbeingable to getmy W1 to play normal mpeg fileswould bea cool thing.

datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:31 AM   #3

First, thanks for the answer, also thought using the W1 as movie player would be cool. And I thing it has the technical capatibilities, but you have to know how to use them. I think thats the problem. (eg how to use these thm. files and so on)

The only codec I can thing of the W1 is able to play is MPEG-1 (thats important!). MPEG-1 is a very, ehm, raw and not very efficient codec format. The pro about it is that there is no need of a powerful codec chip to play it resp. record. MPEG-2 is only used with DVD movies. A high quality, with big files format. Using MEPEG-2 would make no sense and wouldnt be possible because a pc needs either a special MPEG-2 decode chip or at least a 500 mhz pc. You can also forget MPEG-4 because it also needs a high performance chip to decode it. (But its the most efficient of these formats (-> DivX))

I hope there will be some cracks out there, who make a site about this topic, showing how to make movies which the W1 can play. I think Im not the only one who would like this feat. (other P100 or T1 or whatever user could profit form it too!)
For3st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:09 PM   #4

I'm a t1 owner and i definitely want to convert some of my clip so that they can play back on my camera. From what I find out so far (hours of research and trying out different format ofmpeg1 movies), I think encoding the mpeg1 movieto the mpeg vx format is the key (let aside the thm files) but I failed to find any mpeg vx encoder.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It's been 3 months since you last post. Did you find anything new?
alphaforcex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:52 PM   #5

anything new? I am also trying to do that but no luck....
chushpajz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:55 AM   #6

datoda wrote:
Quote:
Having no corresponding .THM file might be the reason that my mpeg file doesn't get recognized.
That's not the reason. It doesn't need .thm files.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:01 PM   #7

For3st wrote:
Quote:
....The MPEG VX codec is much to uncompressed for storeing a whole movie (only 3 min. fits into 256 :roll

What do you think?
only 3 min fits into 256 if you record movie, but thats 640*480 resolution. we would need to resize the movie to the smallest possible resolution-LCD resolution maybe? i think that we could shrink one 700MB divx movie to 256MB. i am doing this with my mobile phone-divx movie shrinked to 50MB for my phone. CVonV said that It doesn't need .thm files. So, correct if I am wrong, the only problem is how to shrink movie like divx into MPEG VX format? is it a regular MPEG1 format or? My GSPOT codec information appliance says that movie taken with w1 is
***codec: MPEG1_Payload
***Sys Bitrate: 2913 kb/s
***size 1.72 MB (or 1,763 KB or 1,805,495 bytes) for 5 sec movie
***kpbs movie [email protected]
***audio codecs MPEG-1 Layer 2
***audio bitrate 32000Hz 64 kb/s (1 chnl)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:28 AM   #8

****original movie file info taken with W1**********
VideoInfo:
Picture Information:
Width: 640 Height: 480
BitCount: 24

Media Information:
Total Frame: 126 FrameRate:25.00

fccHandler: MPG1
Codec: Ligos MPEG Video Decoder
Description:Video

AudioInfo:
SampleRate: 32000 BitRate: 64000
Channels: 1 BlockAlign:288

Codec: Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder
Description: Audio
TOTAL FILE SIZE:872 KB (893.576 bytes)
****converted movie info****************************
was converted with -WinMPG Video Convert-
VideoInfo:
Picture Information:
Width: 640 Height: 480
BitCount: 24

Media Information:
Total Frame: 127 FrameRate:25.00

fccHandler: MPG1
Codec: Ligos MPEG Video Decoder
Description:Video

AudioInfo:
SampleRate: 44100 BitRate: 224000
Channels: 2 BlockAlign:731

Codec: Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder
Description: Audio
TOTAL FILE SIZE:1,72 MB (1.805.495 bytes)

when I have imported this converted movie to both 101MSDCF folder and to 100MSDCF folder (without importing the *.THM file from the original movie) in index view mode on camera I could only see blue thumbnail and when I tried to play it, "File error" message appears. Importing the *.THM file have only made the thumbnail image visible in the thumbnail or index view on camera, but still "File error" message appears, probably due to diferent audio information or diferent informations of file and informations of file in the *.THM file.
To eliminate first doubt, I will need to have proper MPEG1 video/audio converter capable of editing audio settings, does anyone know one?
P.S.
To simulate the original situation I have first opened the original MPG file teken with W1 with VirtualDub and converted it to *.avi file and compresed it with XviD MPEG-4 Codec (highest quality setting). Then the compressed *.avi file was again converted to MPEG1 file.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:52 PM   #9

The .THM file is only a JPEG snap shot of the first frame and used for the pre view funtion of the movie.

I'm using the Sony DSC W12.
just4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:01 PM   #10

so no1 has a good movie converter