Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:00 PM   #1

Hi there,
I'm trying to figure out which 5mp camera would be best for me and have been comparing the Sony P100, W1, Canon P500 and Fuji F710. I like the specifications of both Sony camera's but when I compare the sample pictures of Steve's reviews I get the impression that all Sony photo's are a bit pale, not so colourful as the others. I downloaded a few and put them next to eachother on my screen so i got a good overview. Does anyone else see this 'paleness' or is it my eyes...? Especially the photo's of the red brick house and the children's playground show the difference.
thanks!
markalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:12 PM   #2

baroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:13 PM   #3

i will send you my photos taken with a w1 and nikon's 5200 (much better!!!)
Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:11 AM   #4

do you mean the nikon 5200 photo's are much better than the w1? i'd like to see you're photo's but how do you get my e-mail address without having to put it here in the forum?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:14 AM   #5

I can only say that I agree with you 100%, the images ARE paler. Or are the others just TOO colourfull? I can't decide, but after using a V3 for about a year (VERY colourfull) I might not be the best source here. The V3 produces oversaturated images, but some people like this and the Ixus series is THE most sold camera ever produced. It become a sort of standard in digital photography, so there has to be something "right" with too much colour in pictures.

I thinkthe P100 it is a bit too pale, but I also thinkthe Ixus-series is too colourlfull. But for me it's a bit tooearley to comewith a conclusionregarding the "coulurfullness" hehe of the P100, I have to have morepictures for that.Keep you posted...
Stian78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:20 AM   #6

Stian, thanks for your comment, i agree that it might also be that the [or some] others are too colourful. But it seems a bit strange that the fact that the Sony samples are paler [or at least different] isn't mentioned anywhere in Steve's reviews. [quote: "Our outdoor test shots were both well exposed and richly saturated"]

Is the V3 a Canon camera? I can't find a description anywhere...
Old Jun 15, 2004, 2:38 AM   #7

I have an F717, and I almost always need to adjust the contrast, levels, or saturation of my photos. Ultimately, images that are less "punchy" straight out of the camera allow for more post-processing latitude.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 2:49 AM   #8

i definitely think that photos taken with nikon 5200 are sharper and better focused. i will put online the url as soon as I upload the shots on the web...
Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:22 AM   #9

I must admit to being a bit biased as the owner of two Cybershots..a P10 and P52. In addition I've tested the P93 and V1 models.

Different monitors and viewing circumstances can change how an image looks but by and large I have also downloaded more than a dozen of Steves samples for goodcomparison. I happen to use the image of the Marina Cafe (with the triangular front).

Funnily enough the P10 image is not comparable with others in that particularsample because it was about the only one taken on a grey cloudy day. However with all the other Sonys "pale looking" images is the last thing I would have said. Usually reviews mention the rather vibrant red and green of the Sony image character.

The only Sonycamera that I found had less colour in actual use was the V1, to be honest it had such good results otherwise I thought its slightly less saturated character was possibly a little more accurate.

I think we all (well many folks)like to see a deep blue sky, white fluffy clouds and rich colours of the subject. It seems camera makers sometimes give us what we want with tweaks in the camera internal software, even if it isn't true to life!

Thinking about Steves samples, and just taking those captured in nice weather, most of the Sony rangeseems about right, the Olympus 560 was the most "colouful" of the ones I downloaded - attractive but not real life, Fujis often looked a little green tinged, Kodak very rich - too rich? The most pale image on a nice day was actually from a very higly regarded and expensive Nikon.

Perhaps pale is good?!

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:32 PM   #10

Heello Maralex!

V3 is indeed a Canon camera, check it out here http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02091603canons230.asp

In the states (I'm from Norway) it's called the Canon Ixus S230. It's been a great camera, but I wanted a more upscale point&shoot camera. I should have kept it and rather bought a F828 insted, but I'l get that later.

Stian78 is offline   Reply With Quote