Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:27 PM   #1

:sad:I have had the Sony DSC-W1 for just a week now and already the LCD is damaged. I'm not sure how it happened, but don't believe it was subjected to any circumstances that should have led to this type of damage. It does not come with a case. I tried to return it to the store I bought it at and they refused to take it back. Needless to say I am extremely disappointed and frustrated that I may be out the $400+ I invested in what I thought was going to be a great camera. Has anyone else had this same experience? Please reply.
snapshot1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:57 AM   #2

snapshot,

In this thread you talk of the LCD being damaged, and in another thread you say the LCD doesn't come on.

Is that the situation...that the camera turns on and works but you see no image on the LCD?

What happens when you toggle through the options on the button (the top button of the three small onesto the right of the LCD)that controls the LCD display?

As you keep pressing the button I think they should be...

LCD off - LCD on plus info- On plus info and histogram- Onwith no info or histogram- back to off and so on.

When you power the camera off and on again it remembers the last setting so if the screen was turned off in error when you put the camera on next time itwould look like the LCD had failed.

Like the 2003 Cybershot range I'm pretty surethis LCD-off settingis also retained if you switch to playback which makes you sure the thing has failed. In fact thisoption is available to save camera battery power if you are viewing images on the TV and don't need the LCD.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:30 AM   #3

Thanks for replying David.

The camera will power on, and the LCD lights up. The upper right quarter of the LCD is black with what looks like a spider web of small splintered lines coming from the center. The rest of the LCD is either white or shows some spectrum of colors.I cannot view anything on the LCD using any of the camera's functions. I don't think it has the button you described. It has a "menu" button which will not display anything, nor will any other function show up on the LCD.

When I tried to return it to the retailer they told me it was "accidental damage" from pressure applied to the LCD and not from normal usage and therefore would not be returnable or covered under my extended warranty plan.

This is my first digital camera and was quite suprised thatit didn't come with a case, especially if the LCD is so sensitive. I went digital so that I could carry the camera in my purse. It is possible that while it was in my purse it was damaged.

I've been trying to contact Sony, but have had no success getting through their customer service line to actually talk to someone about the problem.

Like many others I was very excited about the W-1, but at this point I may be out the $ I spent on it, very disappointed and frustrated.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:10 PM   #4

Snapshot, sorry to hear your LCD problem. Just wanted say that if you purchased the camera with a credit card, the credit card company may come to your rescue. I know cards from American Express, and some Visa and Master cards have purchase protection programs that would cover your purchase from any accidental damage within the first 90 days of your purchase. Hope this helps.
datoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:13 PM   #5

Thanks Datoda. That's an avenue I hadn't thought of!
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:19 PM   #6

I had a friend who had a Canon who had the LCD go bad after a couple of weeks. What happen is that he left the camera in the jockey box of his truck(no ventilation)
in 90 degree weather. Since the display is liquid crystal, it fried. He did get some resolution from Canon, they replaced the display at no charge..he wanted a new camera.
Best of luck.
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:36 PM   #7

OK it does sound as if the LCD is damaged or has failed.

In that case the button I mentioned may not do anything...but it is there! Can you see the three immediately to the right of the LCD looked at from the rear? The bottom one is the delete button, the middle one the menu and the top one (almost level with the top of the LCD) toggles through the LCD display options.

Your experience trying to return this is not what I'd expected in the USA, I thought the consumer was always right!

There are two ways to go here depending on the answer to the next point...in all honesty could the LCD have sustained a heavy blow? If so then the credit card insurance is the first avenue to pursue. If that fails then I would be tempted to carry on chasing the supplier and Sony. In the UK we would refer to fitness for purpose.

If Sony supply the W1 as a pocket point and shoot camera with a wrist strap and no case it would be expected to withstand reasonable handling. If it didn't it would not be "fit for purpose" and there would be redress under consumer law.

Finallyare you are sure the camera has never suffered damage, and the freedom of any marks on the LCD/body confirm this then keep after the supplier and Sony for a repair/exchange.

You may be interested to know the lens sliding cover failed on my Sony P52 after 11 months of use. The first thing the chap in the shop said when I took it in for warranty repair was "they do that if you drop them". I told him to steady on and that it had failed as I turned it on carefully sittingat the dining table after loading a fresh set of batteries.

They sent it back to Sony and it was repaired OK under warranty without argument.

Good luck.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote