Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:35 PM   #1

I have at the moment a Nikon coolpix 5200 but I'm disappointed with the image quality of the shots, my canon ixus 400 produced better pics imo.

At the time of getting the 5200 I was also considering the W1 or the IXUS 500.

I've read the review on the W1 and it being included in the best cameras section is encouraging (but so the 5200, so I still have a little doubt)

To help rid these doubts I'd like the opinions of you good people who have either used or own a W1..the good things and the bad things.

I don't mind the w1 is bigger than the 5200. My main 2 important things are image quality and size..image quality taking precedence though.

I mainly just take 'simple' picutres so point n shoot is good and don't need a massive amount of extra settings so the W1 seems suited to me.

I'd just like to ask a few questions :

1. I like to take night time with very low light levels. Normally using a tripod. My old IXUS 400 had a maximum 15 second shutter and produced good shots. How does the 30 second of the W1 perform?

2. I read the flash is a little on the weak side, I think the only time I'd using the camera indoors in low light is probably at the odd party or reception for small group shots and portraits. Is the small sufficient for this and how well does the AF lamp perform?

3. What's the screen like for visibility in very bright sunlight? I'm just asking incase I decide to use the camera on the 1 day of bright sunshine a year we get in Manchester:lol:

4. I noticed the focusing range is very different to the 5200:

min focus range 12" (5200) 19.2" (w1)

macro 1.6" (5200) 3.9" (w1)

Would this increase in focal range make anynoticeable difference in everyday use or would it go relatively unnoticed?

Does the macro setting produce good close ups?

5. I've looked through the sample pics of the W1, IXUS500 and 5200 and out of all them I prefered the W1, then the IXUS 500 and then the 5200.

The W1's imagequality seemed nic and sharpand the colours seemed the most vivid, especially the 1st pic of the hotel. I've never seen this building so don't know if the colours are accurate but they do look very good. What are your opinions of the quality and colour saturation?

So, would I better going for the W1 or the IXUS 500? With regards toimage qaulity and colour vividness/saturation being the key factors.

Any answers, input and advice would be hugelyappreciated as I don't want to go through purchasing a camera and then having to send it back, replace etc.

Cheers
scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2004, 2:52 AM   #2

scooby snacks wrote:
Quote:
1. I like to take night time with very low light levels. Normally using a tripod. My old IXUS 400 had a maximum 15 second shutter and produced good shots. How does the 30 second of the W1 perform?

I like the low light pictures. You definitely have to use a tripod. Here's a couple shots...

That's a shot of the neighbors house at midnight.30 second exposure. It was dark enough that the naked eye couldn't make out colors. Another neighbors porch light ended up looking like a UFO landed behind the house.

I even goofed around with "ghost" images.
scooby snacks wrote:
Quote:
2. I read the flash is a little on the weak side, I think the only time I'd using the camera indoors in low light is probably at the odd party or reception for small group shots and portraits. Is the small sufficient for this and how well does the AF lamp perform?

In a house, the flash is more than sufficient. In a large auditorium or outside, it's not got enough range to be very effective. AF lamp works great, but I find that if I really want candid shots of my kids, I need to turn it off. It's bright enough that they stop being "candid" and look at the camera.
scooby snacks wrote:
Quote:
3. What's the screen like for visibility in very bright sunlight?

You can see in bright light but it isn't always easy. Luckily, it has a viewfinder you can look through.
scooby snacks wrote:
Quote:
4. I noticed the focusing range is very different to the 5200:

min focus range 12" (5200) 19.2" (w1)

macro 1.6" (5200) 3.9" (w1)

Would this increase in focal range make anynoticeable difference in everyday use or would it go relatively unnoticed?

Does the macro setting produce good close ups?

I don't know the answer to the focus range, but I really love the macro.

That's 2 inches from a small flower. I took this yesterday.
scooby snacks wrote:
Quote:
5.What are your opinions of the quality and colour saturation?

Colors look dead-on to me and I think the pictures are very high quality. However, I'm not exactly a professional, so I don't know if my opinion counts.
Elvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 3:22 AM   #3

scooby,

I can't actually give a user feedback on the W1 as, despite it being highon my initial shortlist a few weeks ago, they were almost impossible to find at the time. I decided not to wait and bought an older Sony Cybershot modelin the end.

Interestingly the W1 has been one of the most talked about cameras here over the past couple of months up to its actual sale in the shops....but there seems lessuser feedback now than there was potential interest previously.

Anyway this is the comment that prompted me to reply....

Any answers, input and advice would be hugelyappreciated as I don't want to go through purchasing a camera and then having to send it back, replace etc.

To be honest unless you are uncritical it will be pretty hard to get the right camera based on forum advice. Don't get me wrong, I asked and read loads but at the end of the day only testing the cameras myself really showed how they would work for me.

There are two places I would advise so you can try and return.

www.cameras2u.comonline are brilliant. They have free next day delivery and a full 14 day exchange/refund policy for any reason. I tested the Sony P93 and Canon A75 from them. In each case the camera ordered one afternoon arrived the next morning. When I wanted to return they never quibbled and the same courrier that deliverd the replacement would take the first camera back. Even afterI returnedthe second camera they were more than happy to let me try a third.

Currently they are doing the W1 for £269.99 and Ixus 500 for £285.19. If you are drawn to Sony what about the P120 outfit at £289? It's a P100 in black with neat leather case and a spare InfoLithium battery included....very good value package and a small camera.

AnywayI got embarrased messing them around and opted for a full refund, this was promptly credited back to my credit card. Top service all round.

If you want a similar policy on the high street and don't mind slightly higher prices try Jessops with their 30 day exchange/refund policy. At least you can spend a little time with the cameras in-store to narrow the choice down. Also try haggling with them showing evidence ofcurrent online prices, I gotloads off my Sony doing that!

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 8:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the answers chaps..very appreciated.

Elvite: Thanks for the answers and especially including sample pics. I really like the night time pic of the house, amazing colours. Haha, I like the ghost image pic, I did something similar to that with my IXUS but it didn't come out as good as yours. Even though I appeard semi translucent all that was visible was my head and my right hand..quite bizarre.

The macro shot looks very good and the colours from that pic look good.

Cybershot 445: Thanks for the cameras2u link. Fortunately thats where I ordered the CP 5200 from so the return process has been very easy. Just arranged for the courier to collect tommorow am and then I'm 99% certain I'll be ordering the W1 on Monday. Should give me a couple of days to read some more reviews.

I do agree with what you said about different cameras suiting different people and the easiest way would be to go to Jessops, etc and try different cameras. However before I got the CP 5200, after a lot of researching I had narrowed it down to the Nikon and the W1 so I'm feeling confident (fingers crossed) that the W1 is the right camera for me. The IXUS 500 was considered for a while as I thought the 400 was a brilliant camera, I'd just like to try the Sony. The only downside being the cost of memory stick compared to other storage media..no biggy though.

Thanks again, and keep the info, advice, opinions coming:-)
scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 8:42 AM   #5

scooby,

Oh well you're trying a good supplier atlow prices anyway! Their helpfulness was quite amazing.

Just a comment on the Memory Stick issue. They may still be a few percent up on other formats but the prices are so low now compared to 12mths ago it isn't much of an issue.

I remember struggling to afford two extra 64mb Sony sticks for my P52 in summer 2003...they were between £45-£60 each then.

Now I get whichever 128mb stick is cheapest online. Last one was a 128mb Sandisk stick at about £25.

Have you considered the P100 or 120 at all. I only mention them as for point and shoot images they have the advantage of an easily selected Fast Shutter/Sports mode that is far more simple to use than the manual mode on the W1. If you ever take images of moving objects this is a great help.

After a year "point and shooting" with the P52 getting a way of freezing movement was the main reason for meto upgrade.

David

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote