Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:51 PM   #1

I'm planning to buy the Wide add-on lense for the W1, but i can'tfind any review out on the internet to guide me.

Is there anyone whohad a chance to test out the new add on lences for the W1, or have seen any review.

Wide VCL-DH0730 , Tele VCL-DH1730 , Super.Tele VCL-DH2630 ... with the VAD-WA adapter.

/Best Regards

W1 user
dscw1user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2004, 3:35 PM   #2

By coincidence, I just got mine in the mail today for my W1 (I didn't order the 1.7x one though). Here's some comparison shots I quickly took with the W1 set to 5MP and Program. (Note I wasn't trying to be astetic, just did a quick shot from my backyard off a tripod)...

Here's how things looked with no lens attached. (5MP - f/5.6 - 1/400)...

Here's the Wide 0.7x lens. (5MP - f/5.6 - 1/400)...

Here's the Super Telephoto 2.6x, when I also zoomed my W1 to it's maximum 3x optical zoom (not digital). This madean actual zoom of 7.8x and is really impressive to me. (5MP - f/5.2 - 1/200)...

Note that the Super Telephoto 2.6x lens is kind of on the long side. As a result,you will see a circleif you do not zoom in your W1 to at least 2.4x. The subject matter isslightly overexposed as well because of this. (5MP - f/5.6 - 1/125)...

Since you have to zoom in so much on your W1,there really isn't much of a zoom range at all with the Super Telephoto 2.6x lens. I took a couple more shots to test the zoom range and found that it is only 6.24x to 7.8x without any trace of the circle you saw above, (at 5.46x thoughit's barely noticeable and on another cybershot like the P-100 may not be noticeable at all). Still, I'm impressed by the quality. Looks like this is the reason that Sony offer the 1.7x lens.

Because it's not as long a lens, I bet the Telephoto 1.7x offersthe range of zoom that is lacking from the 2.6x, (I'm guessing in the 3x to 5x range). I think having that range could come in handy. A local store has this lens. Maybe I'll buy it and try to duplicate what I did above.
Elvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 4:02 PM   #3

Great,

Thanks, this really makes things more easy to deside witch way to go.

Do you know how the Macro range is affected with these lenses applied.

/Best Regards

W1user
Old Jul 13, 2004, 6:49 PM   #4

Hi,

I would like to ask you something. Sony W1 lens starts at 38mm I think. With the wide lens conversor, which value does it reaches? Can you tell me that?

Also, does this wide lens adaptoralso workin the sony v1?

thank you.
jpsousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:42 AM   #5

Hello.

Here comes the facts...

VCL-DH0730 0.7X Wide lens take you down to 26.6mm

VCL-DH1730 1.7X Telephoto lensup to 193.8mm

VCL-DH2630 2.6X Super telephoto lensup to 296.4mm

I have read someware that the V1 cant use any add-on lenses, correct me if m wrong.

Anyway igot the DH0730 and DH2630 and with the W1's original range from 38mm - 114mmi can handle most situations. (and the VAD-WA conversion adapter)

/Best Regards
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:15 AM   #6

Hi,

Have u tried with 2.6X telephoto lens in low light ?

I am having issues when using 2.6X telephoto lens with
low light ... it comes out too dark or almost invisible.

Any tips to improve this or is it known that it fairs
bad at low light ?

Thanks
avittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 2:29 PM   #7

Can the wide angle lens be protected by a filter? Isthere a screwthread at the front of the lens?

My old Nikon add-on lens did not have any way to put on a filter andit is now scratched.
slimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 7:57 PM   #8
rg7

To answer several questions:

First, the W1 is compatible with different filters (on the same adapter as for the wide-angle / telephoto lenses). However, you cannot screw these same filters onto the front of the add-on lenses. You can put them behind, which gives the same effect, however this does not protect the front of the add-on lens, so I guess it is not what you are looking for.
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:47 AM   #9
rg7

The photos don't seem to be working. I'm doing some shopping for lenses, if you have the pictures still around, would you mind posting them again please (I'm trying to get an idea of distortion. Anyone else with these lenses, the wide-angle in particular, posting a picture taken with it would be greatly apprecfiated).
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:30 PM   #10

Nice flash about W1 and add on lenses

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/ProductTour/dcc_DIDigitalCameras/w1/W1.swf
Dr Limpopo is offline   Reply With Quote