Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:19 PM   #1

So I'm looking at some cameras, and two of my top 3 choices are the T1 and the W1 (the other being the Nikon Coolpix 3700).

I think I'm leaning towards the W1 over the T1 from what I've been reading about it. It seems better to me. I'm gonna go and check them both out soon and get a better feel for them.
But I see that the T1 uses memory stick duo, and the W1 just uses memory stick. What's the difference with these?

And other opinions on the cameras themselves? Reccomendations?

thanks
-JMH
justinmikehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:04 PM   #2

I believe the difference is that the "duo" is physically smaller.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:07 PM   #3

Mostly just that the Duo is a smaller size. However, currently Duo Pro's only come in sizes up to 512MB, while the regular size Pro's come up to 2GB. Maybe that'll change later, but that's the way it is right now.

Maybe 512MB is fine for you. If not, than Duo's might not be the way to go.
Elvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 4:30 PM   #4

ok, so how about any reccomendations between the 2 cameras?
Old Jul 1, 2004, 4:56 PM   #5
SLD

I have a T1 for a few weeksand, within it's limitations, I'm happy with it. The biggest plus is the small size so it is with me when I want a camera. The flash is the weakest point for me. Only a meter or so of range and forget getting head shots without red eye. I have some good indoor pic's, even some taken in the theater using a support (table, equipment rack, chair back, wall or such). I have used the T1 to document set construction with very good results under work lights in the theater or the shop, using the flash for fill in at times. Outdoors, on auto, it does great for "snapshots". It has enough manual settings to keep me confused for a while. I've had good luck using some of them already. I plan on trying the "fireworks" setting this weekend. The T1 has some weaknesses but I have enjoyed it and have some pictures from it I'm pleased with.
SLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 9:28 AM   #6

yeah the flash is one of the things I was considering, as the W1 is supposed to be better. From what I see, the W1 is still pretty small, just a little thicker, although I haven't actually checked them out hands on yet.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 3:21 PM   #7

I just purchased a W1 and have no experience with the T1. As for the W1, I am very impressed with it. Just shooting in all auto mode, I think the resulting photos have excellent color, are sharp, and generally pleasing. I was very happy with the indoor flash shots as well and I think the flash is strong enough to capture group shots indoors with excellent skin tones and color. I took a couple of outdoor shots at ISO 100 and was very satisfied with the sharpness and detail. At ISO 100, I did not notice any significant problems with loss of detail due to noise reduction as reported, but then I haven't produced an 8x10 print either - maybe then it is noticeable.

The camera is very very responsive, unlike any digital camera I have used to date. Under good lighting, the camera focuses and shoots almost instantaneously. This, to me, is its best feature. Other things I like: having the exposure compensation as the first menu item, so it can be changed on the fly (actually default menu item is the most recently viewed menu item); the ease of use of the Manual setting, much like using an SLR, although it isn't a true Shutter or Aperture Priority feature, but it is still easy to use, and, while the aperature is limited to either 2.8 or 5.6 (or 5.6 or 10 in telephoto), this is still preferable to no aperature control; the large LCD, after all, how much picture viewing is performed only on the LCD?; the 5x zoom on the LCD during review/playback so detail, focus, and sharpness can be clearly examined; LCD in good lighting is bright and sharp enough for composing and point and shooting; the movie feature; the ability to use AA batteries; the relatively quick flash recharge time, when using 2100 AA batteries (a little slower when using 1500 AA); quick playback; quick power on; excellent ergonomics and excellent fit in my hand for such a small camera - I think its thickness helps its hand-fit; small enough to fit in a pocket when uncased; ability to use my 30mm circular polarizer which also fits my sony camcorder; 0.7 wide angle conversion lens and 2.6 telephoto lens ($$); all those dumb stickers peel off easily without leaving any goo; full USB 2.0 provids for fast downloading.

Things I don't like - the sony AA batteries take about 7 hours to charge; no way to save menu settings, although it does remember the previous sessions settings, which can be either good or bad; too large to fit in a pocket when cased (i have the lowepro mx 8S case which fits the camera nicely with room for a second memory stick, but no room for any extra batteries or accessories); accessories are expensive; optical viewfinder is small, but still easy to center one's eye through; limited aperature control; although I haven't used it much, I don't think I care for the software; LCD is too dim in dim lighting shooting conditions.

Overall, I see this as a wonderful photographic tool that serves as an excellent, responsive point and shoot, and offers enough detail, sharpness, accessories and manual control to create some nice photographs as well, although it shouldn't be confused with either a prosumer or dslr camera. But for $380, a great camera.
rob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:16 PM   #8

Had the W-1 for two weeks, used the t-1 for about 1 week. The flash on the T-1 is poor at best, but fits the pocket nice. The W-1 is a little larger and heavier, but it takes excellent pictures. I have had a f-707 for 3 years and 15k pictures later, the W-1 will allow me to be more mobile and spontaneous. This thing shoots excellent movies. Need to pick what works for you. Bought a fast charger that will charge 4 AA batteries in 15 minutes. 4 batteries and charger $30.00 on sale.

Good luck
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 11:22 PM   #9
Administrator

The Memory Stick DUO card is 1/2 the size of regular Memory Stick cards. To transfer data in a card reader or Memory Stick card slot you need to use the full-size MS adapter. Sony is using this small card in the new Cyber-shot DSC-T1 digicam. And there's also the Memory Stick DUO Pro card with higher capacities and faster transfer rates.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 1:07 PM   #10

Clearly where the W1 stands out is lens/shutter speed, which is comparable to digital SLRs and far faster than other cameras in this class. It was clearly designed to be an Elph-killer. What other compact digicam focuses AND shoots in two tenths of a second?

The other reasons to buy the DSC-W1 arethe HUGE (fora compact) 2.5-inchLCD and non-proprietary AA batteries.

Re the comment about long AAbattery charge time, just buy a good charger. There are lots of 1-hour and 2-hour chargers out there, and Ray o Vac sells a 15-minute battery/charger system that I have read actually works quite well.

seattletom is offline   Reply With Quote